cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how many missold contracts?!

LC543
Investigator
Investigator

I have been a long long term customer of EE but that is about to change. Their store in Broadstairs have missold my elderly parents tablets, watches and internet resulting in an increase of their bill from 40 month to over 180 last month. I am so disgusted. My parents went back once they received the bill (which like many others they had been told was 'free for being such a loyal customer' with no material on the monthly costs. How many people have they done this to now? There needs to be an urgent review of their sales tactics and I'm going to report them to every body I can to make as many people as possible aware that they are targeting vulnerable older people. Any tips on getting the additional data cancelled is welcome as they were already told by the store that the tablets and watches are no return once they leave the shop.

8 REPLIES 8
Audiotypist
Visitor

This happened to me a few years ago, I rang EE, who in turn rang the store, so was able to return to the shop

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @LC543 

Welcome to the community.

I'm very sorry to hear of your parents' experience with this. I recommend either going back into the store to discuss this with the store manager, or giving us a call on 150 so that this can be investigated.

Please keep us updated with what happens.

Chris

Thanks Chris. As I mentioned, they already went back to the store and were categorically told they signed a contract so it couldn't have been missold, and they would have to pay the full value of the contract if they wanted to end it, and the goods were non returnable. The best case scenario would be to get the additional data on the watches and tablets cancelled, but this situation has caused my mum so much material distress she actually can't even speak about it without crying. The material loss to them each month for people on a fixed income is enormous. I know if I call ee on their behalf I will be told I'm not their account holder. I'm so upset because I've been with EE for a decade and I am the reason they moved to EE from Vodafone a few years ago. I will be cancelling my own contract in December though when it's up after this experience. In the meantime if there is anything I can do on their behalf can someone reach out? She can't even speak about it over text message it's caused so much stress so I absolutely will not ask her to contact customer services herself.

Christopher_G

I'm really sorry to hear that, @LC543.

Is there any way that the account holder can call, just to add you as an authorised caller? They can set you up with your own password for calling to discuss the account. Once that's done, we'll be able to discuss this with you directly, rather than causing any further distress to your Mum.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I will ask her if she would be up to talking to them just to do that.

Katie_B

Thanks @LC543

Please be sure to keep us updated. 

Katie

Nutinvah
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @LC543 I'm sure you already know this, but complaining to EE about EE is just a waste of your time, (but of course you need to do it, even if just to have a record of doing it). 

I would suggest reporting them to Ofcom, but of course Ofcom won't investigate the individual situation on your behalf. They will just use it to form an overall picture of the behaviour and standard business practices of EE. 

That can be done here. 

https://ofcomlive.my.salesforce-sites.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTSwitchedWithoutPermission 

According to OFCOM, the procedure for making a complaint is as follows. 

1. Make a complaint in writing. You can do that here. 

https://ee.co.uk/contact-ee/complaint/form

2. If your complaint isn't resolved to your satisfaction, (or you get no response at all), then you need to ask them for a "Letter of Deadlock". Ideally you would send this my post, (some sort of recorded delivery so that you can prove receipt), to the following address. 

By post: EE Customer Services, 6 Camberwell Way, Sunderland Tyne and Wear, SR3 3XN

They can respond to this vis post, email or text message. 

3. Contact the SICAS (Communication Ombudsman). You have 12 months from the date of the letter of deadlock to escalate things to the Ombudsman. If you have received the "Letter of Deadlock", or 8 weeks have passed since formally complained, then you can escalate this situation to the Ombudsman here. 

https://www.commsombudsman.org/

They will then investigate and be the final arbiter of how the situation is to be resolved, (and EE have to abide by their decision). 

Good luck. We need more people to complain properly because they are taking the mick. 

Thank you so much for these suggestions, I had a list already and am adding these to it. Thank you and absolutely agree it's a worrying pattern of behaviour from EE.

I can't get my mum to add me as she literally wants nothing to do with EE now. I'm really horrified by how this has impacted her, she feels so taken advantage of and sadly she is right.