cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling contracts to a vulnerable adult

skylacain
Contributor
Contributor

My 19 year old autistic daughter has walked into an EE shop and taken out a contract for a brand new iphone and Apple watch. She has no concept of money or consequences, she does not have a job or anyway to pay for the enormous monthly bill. I have been told that she cannot cancel this purchase or end the contract. I am livid that EE would be so irresponsible to lend to a vulnerable person and have little compassion when the situation is explained. I feel so frustrated that this has been allowed to happen. Is there any way this can be resolved?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @skylacain

Thanks for the message. 

Please let us know how you get on after the team get in touch to discuss this further. 

Thanks. 

Leanne. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@skylacain   She would of been credit checked to even get them on contract that’s all that has to be checked.  The store doesn’t know if she has a job or other income to pay for this.  And the store can not stop a sale just because someone is autistic as that can be classed as discrimination. 

But I totally understand how you feel as I had to go through something similar about 12 years ago with a different network.      Personally I would go back to the store and explain the situation.  Would the salesperson actually know that your daughter was autistic as not all disabilities are visible.   

I understand that she would have had a very basic credit check but to borrow the amount that she has there really needs to be much more stringent checks run. She may not 'look' autistic but that doesn't mean that she should have to suffer the lack of compassion to her situation. Companies like EE surely need to have some understanding when it comes to resolving these issues if they arise. Instead I was fed the 'computer says no' card. 

@skylacain   It’s not a basic credit check it’s a hard search that will show on a credit report.  Customers do fail this check when they try to get devices on contract. 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @skylacain,

I've sent you a private message. Please check your inbox and get back to me when you have a moment.

Thanks

James

She has never taken out credit before so she would pass it. It doesn't change the fact she has no income or means to pay the bill. Or the fact she has no concept of money, contracts or bills. 

Credit history works the other way round. You are deemed to have a good credit record when you have taken out credit previously & have shown you can repay it on time with the required amounts, not when you have never taken out any credit.

The whole credit industry works on good known payers, not on unknown non-payers.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Then it begs the question that how on earth a young person with no previous credit and no job or means of income can be able to take out credit to this enormous value? That tells me that EE are more than happy to lend to vulnerable young people. Surely you can understand how immensely concerning that is? She cannot work, she cannot understand numbers or money and yet she has been able to sign a contract for this much money. It isn't morally right however you look at it. 

Indeed, it begs the question on how of earth she passed any credit check in the 1st place. Has she received the goods yet?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

She purchased them from a shop so she got them straight away. If they had been bought online we would have a 14 day returns policy. But this does not apply in person apparently. 

EE have told me that they do not have to end the contract and to get out of it she will have to pay the whole term up front.