cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In store phone repair. ID

footballcrazyp_
Investigator
Investigator

So EE inform me this morning I need a passport or driving license to get my phone repaired. Being disabled I have neither. On calling them they claimed its to do with GDPR. But they NOT taking my Sim and the phone is Factory reset, so there is no GDPR involved. GDPR is to do with private information,  I have a password on my account, Proof of address, Government issued Bus Pass. The IMEI is registered to me at my address. The above was enough to take out a phone contract, so why is it not enough to get a repair. Disability discrimination act? Refusing Government official ID? Or just a new way to stop the repair? Either way GDPR say Government issued photo ID, my Bus Pass, which is signed off by a doctor and Council and issued by the government, which I could use as ID on UK ferries and to go from England to Scotland or Northern Ireland by plane. Is Government issued, so EE are discriminating against disabled and the less well of in society. You should be selling contracts to people you not giving full service to.

1 REPLY 1
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @footballcrazyp_ 

Welcome to the community.

I'm really sorry to hear that you have a problem with your phone. To organise an in-store replacement, we would require either a UK/NI Driving license, or a UK/NI or international passport. That is the same for all of our customers.

We do have some other alternative options, including a drop off/pick up service from your account address. This is where a courier would take the phone away from you and drop it back of, once it's been repaired. 

If you would like to discuss doing that, I recommend speaking to our Mobile Care team.

Hope you get sorted.

Chris