cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming costs avoided IF .......

LynnG
Investigator
Investigator

So, if I take my phone abroad (S22), turn data roaming off, (and turn mobile data off as well maybe?) and connect just to WIFi abroad, can I a) avoid roaming costs

b) use WhatsApp back to UK (which is all I need really!)

and does wi fi calling need to be on or off?

I did use a roaming pass (£15) starting and stopping just for the one week I was away but had a kerfuffle with EE as they said the £15 was for full month useage even though I did it last year and it worked very well on a pro rata basis, this doesn't seem the case now PLUS it's increasing to £25 soon!! 

TIA! 

2 REPLIES 2
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Disabling data roaming will simply stop you using mobile data whilst roaming. Charges could still be incurred for voice-call roaming & text-roaming.

Receiving texts is always free, but receiving a call is chargeable wherever you are. The only way to avoid all roaming charges is to not roam - which means not connecting to any foreign network.

WiFi-calling is not officially supported abroad, but if it does work then roaming charges also apply.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Previously you may have had the Roam Further Pass which was pro-rated at both the starting & ending billing month. The Roam Abroad Pass doesn't do that.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)