cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returned a phone/cancelled a contract I was missold

PREVIOUSCUST
Investigator
Investigator

I was missold a contract 9 days ago (which the complaints dept admitted over the phone). I called the store today and told them I would be returning the phone and cancelling my contract due to being missold it, the manager called me back and said this was fine. I took it back and she confirmed my contract was cancelled with no charge. She said the PAC code could take up to a week. Having just checked the EE website this isn't what the website states. I just received a text saying "your total charge for ending your contract early is £1147.18 excluding any outstanding add to plan product payments". I have checked the receipt and there's lots of entries, they all say "reason RA pending" with £0 charge. Not sure what EE are playing at but I'm not paying anything! They lied to me 2 years ago too, told me I had 20% discount when I did not, and you get nothing in writing to confirm monthly amount, only the salesperson's word. Feels like one big scam. I tweeted them as it says they are online until 11pm but they haven't replied to my tweet or message.

5 REPLIES 5
PREVIOUSCUST
Investigator
Investigator

I know you posted this a while ago, but this seems to be a common scam. 2 years ago I took out a contract for under £50 per month at the Milton Keynes store (they got me to ring customer services to buy it). My bill arrived at over £60 per month and I was told I wasn't entitled to any discount. They applied the discount but called it a goodwill discount. Last week I went to the Huntingdon store and took out a new contract. They said they just needed a blue light code and that it had been applied and i had 20% off (total price £50.40 per month). I emphasised that I needed the monthly amount in writing and he said he couldn't do this; I took a photo of his notes. He said the printer was broken when I asked for a receipt, I received no copy of my contract bit eventually got a receipt which didn't state the monthly amount. He then said they had accidentally removed the blue light code and called 150 from my mobile. I had an appointment, he said they would call me back and apply the code. When they called back they said the code was invalid as I'm not registered with perks. They said i was missold my contract as it wouldn't have been possible to add or remove an invalid code. They agreed to do the discount as goodwill but I raised a complaint and said I wanted to return the phone. They tried to close the complaint immediately after opening it and tried to dissuade me from escalating it to a manager. I returned the phone today, the manager confirmed this was OK and the contract was cancelled with no charge. Tonight I received a text saying I would be charged over £1100! EE are misselling contracts and scamming us.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @PREVIOUSCUST

Welcome to the community. 

I am sorry to hear the experience you have had. 

NHS workers will need to register with EE Perks to gain access to the Perk portal which then allows those who work for companies part of the scheme to generate 5 discount codes. Sometimes if a plan has already got a discount on then EE Perk can't be applied.

I am aware you have now returned the phone and are receiving messages advising you will be charged over £1000, this may be an automated message but I would recommend getting in touch so our customer care team can ensure your account has been closed correctly. 

Katie

Katie_B

Good morning @PREVIOUSCUST

Welcome to the community. 

I have responded to your other thread but I will also post my response here to ensure you see this and this gets resolved for you as soon as possible.

NHS workers will need to register with EE Perks to gain access to the Perk portal which then allows those who work for companies part of the scheme to generate 5 discount codes. Sometimes if a plan has already got a discount on then EE Perk can't be applied.

I am aware you have now returned the phone and are receiving messages advising you will be charged over £1000, this may be an automated message but I would recommend getting in touch so our customer care team can ensure your account has been closed correctly. 

Katie

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea why my reply shows up here, I replied to someone else's post with that comment. I'm a care worker, not an NHS worker. I saw on the receipt shows that the store is actually a franchise so I emailed all of the managers and director for that company over the weekend. The regional manager from the franchise company called me back on Saturday (presumably in a bit of a panic because there are probably about 20 breaches of the law/Ofcom rules/EE's complaints code, and EEs General Condition C8 which  Ofcom have told them to provide. It was the longest email I've ever written! He gave me conflicting information during the call and had apparently been lied to by the guy that missold me the contract (he went into the back of the store through a locked door with my phone unlocked, using it to call 150 then sat opposite me touching the screen when i couldnt see it) and told the manager this was while the MOT app was running, which is completely untrue. He didn't seem to know much about many of the other issues. He is going to call me back on Monday. I dread to think how many vulnerable people they are taking advantage of. They've even set up a cold calling team going door to door.

Thanks 

Jenny

Katie_B

Hi @PREVIOUSCUST

Thanks so much for keeping us updated. 

If you could please let me know the outcome of your call tomorrow so we can see if there is anything further we can do that would be great. 

Katie