cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor service

Jhd7
Investigator
Investigator

Shocking service from ee today, recently found out that a direct debit for £44 pound a month has been taken from my account since 2020, for an account/number/sim that was not received so not activated .

ee have offered 6months line rental as compensation.

unbelievable!!

anyone know the best way forward with this?

39 REPLIES 39
BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

EE are not liable to refund ou anything really. It's been 4 years and you are telling me you didn't know there was money coming out of your bank for the sum of £44 every month?

Sorry it is your job to look after your finances. If this was an old number you didn't cancel its on you to give EE 30 days notice. If it was a fraudulant number it should've been picked up back in 2020, waiting 4 years EE has the case that you knew about it and now you just want some money back.

I'd accept the 6 months line rental and move on with your life.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Thanks for your reply., I wasn’t “telling” you anything.

I see this as a service that I have been charged for, that I did not request or even know about.

I have 4 kids phones on my contract, also my partner and also my mum, all on  my account,  I was only  made aware of the situation from an ee employee when I was upgrading a phone.

my bills are quite large as you can imagine.

i disagree that that it’s my “job” to monitor whether I am being overcharged.

My direct debits are paid in good faith that they are representative of the services requested and used.

BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

It doesn't matter if you have 100 phones on your account that you pay for. I It's your job to look after your finances. EE is not your personal assistant.

My Mortgage payment is quite large but if they started taking more I'd know about it.

MY car lease payment is also large again I'd know if more was coming out.

You receive a bill every single month from EE outlining all the charges and any extra charges. It will have every phone number on the bill thats being charged for. So for 4 years not only did you not notice an extra £44 coming out you didn't open a single bill to read it to see what you are being charged for.

I am sorry but it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. EE doesn't even have to offer you the 6 months as its been so long so I suggest you take it and move on with your life.

Not really sure that your argument would stand up to scrutiny in a courtroom , or how ee charging me for an account that I did not request relates , to your mortgage or car payments?

you seem to suggest that it’s ok for ee to overcharge a customer as long as they don’t notice? 

As previously stated,

I did not request this additional account.

the number has never been ‘live’ (it was never activated by ee.)

Again, thank you for your response,  is there anyone else that could suggest a more sensible approach to this?

BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

You don't have an arguement yourself.

Is been 4 years. EE and any court room would say that as it's been 4 years you acknowledge the extra charge and agreed to it. 

It's not EEs fault you seem to think looking after your own money isn't down to you.

If it been a couple months ok you'd have a case. But it's 2024 and this number was added in 2020.

It's not EE overcharging you it's your incompetence to check your bills when it's gone on for 4 years.

BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

When EE was orange I had a 2nd line added to my account. I knew soon I had the money leave my account. I rang up straight away and got it sorted.

It must be nice having so much money you don't need to worry about what you're being charged monthly. How the other half live I guess

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Jhd7 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Have you opened a complaint and had this looked into by our complaints team? 

Leanne.

Well, I guess we’ll all have to agree to disagree, regardless of anyone else’s scenario, the amounts involved or how long the money has been taken, I did not agree to it.

It’s my view that I have had  money taken for a service that was not agreed to nor provided, 

To be honest I was hoping for a sensible ee representative to see this and maybe offer a solution, 

my thoughts at the moment are to make a subject access request to ee to see how and why the account was added and then an application to the small claims court, hopefully we will get chance to mediate before I put forward my case and hopefully i will have statutory interest added to my claim, 

I will gladly let you all know how I get on.

cheers

BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

This is a customer forum with few EE staff on all of which will have no access to your account so can't provide anything.

If you want to waste money going to Small Claims Court go ahead but 4 years is a long time to say I didn't know about this not agree to it. You been offered a goodwill gesture take it to court that'll be wiped away and you'll most likely walk away with nothing.