cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved abroad and would like to keep number and can I get a refund?

DollyC1014
Visitor

Hello, I have recently moved abroad for a few months and would like to keep my number for when I return to the UK. Because I'm no longer using it, what can I do in order to keep my number without paying for it every month? Also EE charged me for this month before I was able to remove my auto debit, can I get the refund as I was already abroad and did not use it?

3 REPLIES 3
BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

No you can't get a refund.

Are you passed your minimum term? If so request to move it to PAYG closing your pay monthly account this will take 30 days as you need to give 30 days notice of cancelling your pay monthly.

Just cancelling Direct Debit doesn't make it cancelled and if you had you would still be liable for that monthly payment regardless.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Non-use of a contract no. doesn't absolve you from paying for it. EE still provides a service even if you choose not to use it. Cancelling your DD will mean you'll have to pay it in some other way.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

It's not clear whether you're on a pay-monthly contract or PAYG.

If PAYG, then simply make sure you make a chargeable action at least once every 179 days to avoid the phone being put into hibernation.

If on contract, then your options are limited. Your line will remain open for as long as you maintain your contractual monthly payments. Ceasing those will cause credit file issues once your line has been suspended for non-payment. Assuming you're outside the minimum term, you could request your plan is cancelled and number migrated to PAYG - but this process can't be completed abroad and your SIM will need to be reactivated in the UK first.