cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling completely screwed over by what I thought was a reputable company

Em131
Investigator
Investigator

3 years ago I took out another line for my 10 yr old nephew and on that call I ensured that no payments could be made to 3rd party apps  - I was assured that no purchases could be made and there was no issues for 3 years 

I upgraded the contact in Jan 23 - and last month I had £80 of extra charges on my bill - I rang EE to query and was told they were in-app purchases

I of course queried how charges could be made and was told there wasn't a block on the account  - EE then placed a block on the account on the 07/03 - they refused to refund me the £80 charges saying they couldn't listen to the call 3 years ago which would prove I asked for a block to be put on the account originally

I have just received my bill for March and there are further charges on that bill totalling £213 - I have rang EE who have said that these charges were made before the block went on the account on the 07/03 - I asked why I wasn't made aware of them during the multiple calls I have had with EE in the past month  - they didn't have an answer for me

If the block had been placed on the account when I had originally asked for it to be I would not be paying extra charges of £80 and then £213

EE are not interested in helping me with this - when I call every advisor agrees with me that this should not have happened but no one will do anything to help me 

I have been with EE for over 15 years and I am disgusted that they would treat their customers like this

Is anyone able to help me or advise what I can do please  

6 REPLIES 6
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Em131   Has your nephew been making these purchases?    You don’t say.     

Yes he has unfortunately 

If the block had been put back on in the first place he wouldn't have been able too 

@Em131  I totally get what you’re saying about the block it should have still been there and should have been checked once the upgrade was completed to make sure it’s still there.  But unfortunately the purchases were made by the number in question.    

Thankyou for your response however I don't believe that it is fair that EE made a mistake that I have to pay for  

bristolian
Legend
Legend

I suspect the "block" you're referring to, would be a spend-cap. This does restrict a lot of charges, but in-app purchases are reliant on the relevant password or PIN. Have you changed this from what your nephew would know?

Guidance on what the cap does & doesn't cover, is listed below.

https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/manage-use/pay-monthly/set-up-and-manage-spend-cap 

Spend caps do not restrict in-app purchases by Charge to Bill. I suspect it was the BAR method.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)