cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending BT related discounts.

joneshomebody
Contributor
Contributor

I have just cancelled my BT Broadband and they have kindly excused me any early termination fee. They have said that as I am on a social tariff and cannot receive my guaranteed speed at all times they will accept early termination.

My issue is I cannot fathom what will happen to my discounts on EE SIMs . The first SIM appears to have a contract date of September 2025. I did not realise that BTs offer to upgrade my data allowance when I complained about the delay in giving me my previous landline number, it took them 8 months, constituted a new contract but apparently it did. This SIM has no applied discount despite it being my only contract SIM at that time.

Subsequently I have ordered 2 further SiMs by telephone to EE, on different but recent dates, for family members and  I believe that both were credited with the BT discount and separately with the Friends and Family discount which was the reason I chose them.

I cannot confirm this because the EE website, which references 2 account numbers, will not display or download my bill for either account number. I need to know because I am on a limited budget and gifted the SIMs as presents with 24 month contracts.

When does EE expect to be able to display bills.

7 REPLIES 7
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @joneshomebody 

Our Mobile Care team have access to your accounts and will be able to check each number and answer your questions. I recommend giving us a call on 150.

Thanks

Chris

joneshomebody
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, the website did eventually offer me details for 3 of my SIMS but generated an error when looking at a 4th number repeatedly.

So I wasn't able to deal with that but I do wish to share some good news for people with Family and Friends.

Line 1 discounted as an existing customer with BT Broadband of 30% which was replaced by 30% multi-sim user discount

Line 2 discounted as multi-sim customer at 30%

Line 3 5GB Essential SIM recorded as £36 pm cost and discounted by £10 as £5pm discount for 24 months contract and 30 % discount as multi-sim user. (This item also showed a random figure of approx. £9.)

During the call I was told that only one discount could be applied for each SIM, note that line 3 showed 2 active discounts.

When I challenged my EE Customer Support guide on this line he insisted that I had taken the SIM on the basis of a £36pm cost discounted to £18, after explaining that the same SIM deal was being currently advertised on the EE Shop at £9.10 (with the tag was £20) before any discount, so that with a 30% multi-sim user discount it would be £6.37  why the hell I would agree to a SIM discounted to £18, there was then a longish silence before he came back to say he would amend the record to a full price of £18 and apply the £5pm discount. He could do no more he said.

I asked him why not the 30% multi-sim discount of £5.40 instead of the £5 24 month discount and  he agreed to amend it.

This leaves me with only 2 questions:-

How did the error occur?

Why am I even now paying £12.60 for a SIM deal that is available for £6.37?

Christopher_G

Hi @joneshomebody 

Thanks for the update. We don't have access to your account here, so I can't see why this happened. 

How did you take your contract out? Was it over the phone, in-store or through the website? When did you take it out?

Chris

joneshomebody
Contributor
Contributor

I firmly believe that lines 2 &3 SIM cards were ordered over the phone having consulted the website, in December 2023 and January 2024, and the renewal of contract on an existing SIM, line 1 , was certainly the result of a call in September 2023 , even if unintended.

I have found things easier to understand and the error rate to be less ( and thus my willingness to take responsibility for any errors generated in process greater ) when I am able to discuss and confirm details in real time with a real person, it is a habit.

N.B. On a separate but related issue I nearly exploded when I received an email from BT Broadband showing details of a 24 month contract with Halo3+ at £55pm with early termination fees ,which had been suggested when I called to cancel my existing contract, a further 20 minutes calling resulted in the explanation that this was routine as they felt this might be attractive to me as an alternative to leaving because of the quality of the existing provision of service.

Since I am a disabled pensioner qualifying for a means tested social tariff I felt that this offer was unnecessary, inappropriate and ill considered.

Fortunately they did send a second email confirming cancellation of service.

James_B

Hi @joneshomebody,

Our Customer Care Team will be happy to review the cost of all of your plans and correct any errors if you get in touch on 150.

James

Hello again guess what my bill was £31.47 including the full £20 for the 5gb essentials plus additional days at full rate with no sign of any discount on the SIM despite the email  sent to me on 25.1.24 confirming a monthly cost of £9.10 pm after discounts in respect of the order.

It's not funny, at least I'm not laughing and can't get through to Customer Support.

Christopher_G

What happens when you try to get through to speak to someone on 150, @joneshomebody?

Chris