cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling off period

Dee145
Explorer

I was not told that the 14 day cooling off period doesn't apply for in store purchases.  I want to change my contract to a sim only.  CAB have advised that I should have been told about 14 day cooling off period in the shop.  I went into EE to update my contract as it is due to expire 1 May, I asked assistant to go on cheapest option.  He said I hardly use any data (I've been paying around £56.00 a month. ) Assistant reduced this by reducing data allocation.  However CAB advised he should have offered the sim only option.  I went back into EE and asked assistant why he didn't, he just said that he was sorry and there was nothing he could do.  I am desperate to reduce my outgoings so I would appreciate your thoughts on this.  Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Legally, there is no statutory "change of mind" right of return for any in-store purchase, only distance selling ones. That is one of several popular misconceptions in British consumer law.

Equally, contracts don't "expire", they just finish their minimum contractual term but otherwise just continue on the exact same basis. If they did "expire", your service would also stop on the exact same date.

Any complaints about the service received in-store should be directed at the store in the first instance, and the published complaints process after that.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Why should the store tell you about something that doesn't apply to them & which they don't provide? As a consumer it's up to you to be aware of consumer law or be able to research it. As you were already aware of "14-day cooling-off periods" you should have been aware of the "ifs & buts" that surround it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Dee145  To reduce your data allowance then that’s a new contract.    You can not change the price of any tariff unless you upgrade that includes sim only.   So what does your account say your tariff is ? 

Thanks Chris, it was an upgrade as my contract was expiring.  I'm not clued up at all on sim only and didn't realize that I could have kept my old phone and request a sim only contract.  I asked for cheapest and I was sold a new phone with a reduced amount of data.  I m feeling a bit thick and stupid .

bristolian
Legend
Legend

A new phone also comes with a new number - it's starting completely from scratch.

If you feel mis-sold by the retail store, then that's something you should pursue with them to begin with.