Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing advice given to me about switching by Customer Support

Pro4TLZZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

My EE contract ends on the 18th June and I am looking to move to ID mobile.

I don't want to be charged by EE after the 18th June.

I called up Customer Support and asked them to give notice on my contract as described here 

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/managing-and-using-my-account/leaving-ee/what-happens-at-the-end-of-m...

If you want to cancel your plan at the end of your 24-month commitment period, you’ll need to give us a minimum of 30 days notice. You can do this from up to 45 days before the end of your 24-month commitment period.

However the advisor stopped short of sending the cancellation notice because he said I wouldn't be able to get a PAC code if he issued the cancellation.

He said the only way I could leave was to call up on the 17th and request my PAC code, however this means I then have to pay an entire months bill which I don't want to do.

Can anyone advise how I can leave EE without any additional charges?

Thanks 

13 REPLIES 13

Just your luck, June 18th on w/end & porting not done on w/ends. Submit PAC on 16th & it should be ported by 19th.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
garetc
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

You could just request your PAC from EE on 15th and submit it to ID Mobile on the same day, the number will be ported by midnight the following day if you do it early enough on 15th.

You will need to make sure that you have the ID sim activated and with you on the 15th which also won't be free as the new network will charge you for the date it's activated from.

The early termination fee (ETF) will be a pro-rata charge for the days remaining on the minimum term so you'll end up paying your whole monthly fee/line rental but  to find out what the ETF is on the day you can text INFO to 87075.

ID use 3 and they're (in my opinion) not as good as EE for coverage or speed. Have you tested the network in the areas you frequent the most? 

Thanks. Bit of a chicken and egg situation because to get the idmobile I have to make the choice of what to do with the number and if I choose transfer old number then I'll be out of mobile service for a few days until the SIM arrives and I can activate it. Does that sound about right?

Still confuses me as to how I'll pay for the days remaining on my minimum term since I would have paid the bill already.

I've used three before in my local area and they fit my needs thanks. 

garetc
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor
  • With ID Mobile you can either set the number to port ahead of time before you receive the SIM in which case you could lose service for a day or two. (not ideal)
  • You can set it to port on the day of arrival looks like they'll try to time the port to take place on the estimated delivery date which relies on Royal Mail or the postal provider delivering on the day ID expect them to. (seems to be ID's recommended action)
  • Third option is to order your SIM, once you have received it call ID customer service or go online and give them the PAC for your mobile number. (You'll end up paying for 2 lines for a few days)

Generally customers pay a month up front plus some pro-rata charges in their first bill (there's a good explanation how that works here). EE will refund you anything you're owed automatically by your next billing date when you leave, so leave your direct debit open/active with your bank for them to process any refund to you.

I'd keep any eye out for your final bill to double check that.