cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for Call to Mobile Number

DinahM
Explorer

Whilst still having data available, I have been charged for a call to an 07781 mobile number? Has anyone else experienced this?  

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Data allowance is for mobile data usage and is expressed in Mb/Gb. Voice calls don't use data, and are charged in minutes & seconds, if you don't have a call allowance or bundle.

In your case, 07781 numbers are Guernsey mobile numbers thus not UK numbers. They are international calls, various add-ons are available to reduce the cost if you're calling these numbers regularly.

https://ee.co.uk/mobile/international/pay-monthly-international-calls 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@DinahM  Your data allowance doesn’t cover calls.  Thats a call allowance ie minutes.   

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Data allowance is for mobile data usage and is expressed in Mb/Gb. Voice calls don't use data, and are charged in minutes & seconds, if you don't have a call allowance or bundle.

In your case, 07781 numbers are Guernsey mobile numbers thus not UK numbers. They are international calls, various add-ons are available to reduce the cost if you're calling these numbers regularly.

https://ee.co.uk/mobile/international/pay-monthly-international-calls 

Sorry I meant that I have an unlimited call package - however, how are we to know that 07781 are Guernsey mobile numbers - it looks like a regular mobile number and I doubt very much that any layperson would actually know that it isn't one - is it designed to catch users out?   

That's the UK telephone numbering system. Both UK-looking 07 mobile & 01 landlines nos. extend to Channel Islands & IOM. If there's any doubt we all need to look them up 1st.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

So if 07781 is part of the UK numbering system that extends to the Channel Islands, why have I been charged over £4 for a 2 minute call to a number starting with 07781?  I don't get it!

Cuz EE, like most networks, don't include C.I. & IOM nos. in their inclusive mins, even tho' the nos look like UK nos. They are charged as international Calls.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@DinahM wrote:

why have I been charged over £4 for a 2 minute call to a number starting with 07781?  I don't get it!

These number ranges are part of the UK numbering system (they also have UK postcodes despite not being in the UK), but UK operators don't provide coverage there. Thus they are - technically - international calls.

https://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/help-pdfs/ee-pay-monthly-standard-and-non-standard-price-guide-... page 8 lists the prefixes that this applies to.

EE, like most networks, don't include C.I. & IOM nos. in their inclusive mins, even tho' the nos look like UK nos. They are charged as international Calls. Of course they are only 23p / min.