cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Increase

Waynemac24
Explorer

Hey guys,

So like most people I’ve just been hit with the CPI increase, something doesn’t quite sit right with me having £16 a month extra to pay, and for what? What am I getting for this money? That’s almost £200 a year extra!!

The most annoying thing is that there’s zero flexibility around plans on offer, I’ve been with EE for many years and not at any point has someone looked at my history and suggested/tailored a plan to suit my needs, why is this??

is there a way I can reduce the cost of my plan be decreasing some of the things I don’t need, like 40G of data for instance?

6 REPLIES 6
_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Hi there, 

Wow first of all. If your bill has increased by £16 per month due to the CPI (which was 10.9% and then EE added 3.9% as per their terms and conditions meaning it was 14.4% total) then your bill was obviously HUGE even before this increase.

It’s clearly time to take a look at your account to see what you’re paying them for and look at switching to a cheaper deal. The ‘save’ / ‘existing customer’ deals aren’t always so great. For example, I recently added an additional line to my EE account so I could port one of my numbers out then back in rather than pay the existing customer price which was more.

I assume if you’re paying the best part of £200 per month now then you must have a number of lines / products / services with them. Time to review contact end dates and look at your options.

Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Waynemac24  unfortunately, you cannot lower your tariff allowance, as that would mean a reduced tariff cost and you cannot lower your tariff cost until you’re in your upgrade period.    You get unlimited calls/text on contract so the only thing you need to know is the amount of data you want.   You can ask customer service what’s your average usage so you’ll know what you roughly need.  You can always up that allowance and obviously this will cost more or you can purchase add ons if ever you do need that bit more data. 

some times just paying more upfront to have a lower tariff cost is the best way to go as you can increase that data allowance if needs be.  

@_MrR_   £200 per year not month.   

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Hi @Chris_B 

I was doing basic math. For £16 to equal the CPI increase then you’re looking at a monthly rental that was already over £150 per month. Add in the increase and that’s why I said ‘best part of….’ As in the original poster will be paying the best part of £200 a month for their products and services. 

When it comes to inflation, if you’re already paying a fortune, your increase is going to be sizeable too. Something to factor in when signing up for products and services that allow mid-contract price increases.

@_MrR_   That’s the reason I went sim only at the start of the year as the CPI rate for December is released mid January so  I worked it out a couple of months before EE notified customers of what the increase will be.  I was prepared for this one.  

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Chris_B 

Great minds!! I did the same as you for the same reason. Even went as far as porting out two numbers that were on my account just so I could re-sign up as two new sim onlys so I could continue paying a lower price. 

They’ll get impacted next year (hoping inflation will be better next year) but as it’s a low monthly amount, whatever happens won’t be a massive impact.