cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping kids entertained on the road this summer…

MummyDaddyMe
Guest blogger

Does a long car journey with children make you nervous? Stressful long car journeys are now a thing of the past with the EE Buzzard, where you can now add up to 10 devices in one car. 

The Buzzard 2 is EE's new 4GEE WiFi designed to plug directly into your car's dashboard,The Buzzard 2 is EE's new 4GEE WiFi designed to plug directly into your car's dashboard,

The cries of ‘Are we nearly there yet?’ are a thing of the past with the new EE Buzzard.

There’s nothing like that feeling of slight dread when you see the cars ahead of you slowing down for a traffic jam is there? Knowing that you have already been in the car a while and that you are potentially going to be stuck in it for even longer still. Let’s face it, children and cars don’t always mix too well. But if you are like so many other parents heading out on the road this summer, then long car journeys with young children need not be something to be feared. With a little bit of forward planning you can log some serious miles in peace.

Getting settled and ready for a long drive with no tears or tantrumsGetting settled and ready for a long drive with no tears or tantrums

The first thing I will always do is make sure that I have loaded the children’s tablets up with new games and movies. We have been using the EE Buzzard- the in-car 4G Wifi mobile product. With the Buzzard you can link up to 10 WiFi enabled devices that you can all use while you are travelling in the car. This means it is perfect for me who needs to get online a lot for work and even more perfect for the children who can watch their favourite things and play games to their hearts content.

Previously in the car we have always had a limited range of movies and inevitably before we are even a quarter of a way into our journey, we hear the chorus of ‘We are bored’. With the Buzzard, it takes the stress out of long journeys by allowing them to watch and play exactly what they want. How does it work? If you do a lot of trips you can use a pay monthly sim but for us we find that pay as you go works best. There’s no need to worry about running out of data either, because EE will let you know by text if you use 80% of your data, and it is really easy to top up again.

EE's 4GEE BuzzardEE's 4GEE Buzzard

The Buzzard is designed specifically to be used in the car, it is so easy to plug into your 12 volt power socket which means it'll never run out of power and you don't need to remember to recharge it. It genuinely has made longer car journeys we have done so much easier this summer and it means that the children are entertained and happy.

Happy children equals a much easier trip - especially if it's a long oneHappy children equals a much easier trip - especially if it's a long one

Other tips we have for tackling long road trips with young children are….

• Let them choose a couple of movies and games each. We sometimes let them choose a new movie or game to download before we travel. We then won’t let them play or watch them until we are on the road as it means they are excited to watch them when we get started.

• Educational apps and games. You are probably going to let your child be on their tablet a lot more than you would do on a normal day, so it is definitely worth downloading some more educational games and apps.

• My 6 year old loves Sticker books. You cannot beat a good old sticker book. My girls still love them so we will always take one of those each for them on long car journey’s. You wouldn’t believe how effective stickers can be in keeping them entertained for a while. 

• Colouring Pens. Likewise I will pack a pencil case and colouring book each for them to do some colouring. Often we get them to draw what they see outside the window.

• Snacks, snacks and more snacks. Any parent will know that snacks are an essential part to any car journey. There is nothing worse than hungry children. We pack lots of different bags of mini snacks, things like apples and grapes, dried cereal, crackers and of course the odd naughty car treat too.

Are you going on any long car journeys this summer? If so we would love to know where you are going. Or do you have any tips or ideas for keeping them entertained?

Katie Elisson 2.jpg