cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To make a second Brightbox as a WAP on your LAN to the main Brightbox

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

I have a BB1 currently acting as a WAP as an experiment & it works. Here's how for all types of Brightbox:

1. 1st connect the Secondary BB individually to your PC to do these 1st 6 steps below.
  2. Set Broadband Type of Secondary BB = Fibre/Ethernet for a BB1 or Ethernet for a BB2 (untick the "Enable ADSL/Fibre auto sensing" 1st), under Basic Settings.
  3. Set Protocol of Secondary BB = Bridging, under Basic Settings.
  4. Set the Gateway IP Addy of the Secondary BB, under DHCP, to be diff from that of Primary BB but on same subnet, e.g. if Primary BB's is 192.168.1.1, make the Secondary BB's 192.168.1.2.
  5. Disable DHCP on Secondary BB.
  6. Disable NAT on Secondary BB.
  7. Make the Wireless SSID & pwd of Secondary BB to be same as Primary BB (or you can play around with a separate WLAN).
  8. Connect Primary BB LAN port to Secondary BB WAN port by Ethernet cable or PowerLines, as suggested in other reply.
  9. Reserve the Secondary BB's Gateway IP Addy in the DHCP of the Primary BB.
  10. You should not need to make any other changes to the Primary BB.

If you ever need to reconfigure the Secondary BB, you may find that you cannot access it from http://192.168.1.2/ as it objects to "Duplicate Administrator" In which case you will need to again connect the Secondary BB individually to your PC to administer it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
10 REPLIES 10

Slight variation on the recent subject, but question more associated to the original question:

I have a Brightbox 2 Primary router and over the years have gathered some additional wifi routers from EE including a BB (original, flat); a BB(R) and a BB2. By following the instructions earlier in the thread I have successfully been able to get the BB and the BB2 connected to the Primary Router as secondary routers using IPs 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 respectively.

For the Brightbox (R) wireless router I am having an interesting problem. The short summary of which is that i have been able to connect it to the primary router and it is working effectively with both LAN and Wifi extended, but in the process of changing the IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.4 (being the fourth device) I am now unable to log back into this router to continue to configure it. I have tried doing this in various different ways with no luck! Only way I can re-access router is by resetting it first.

Has anyone else had any similar Is there any advice anyone can give on how to get the BB (R) to link up and still be able to log in to the router?