cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartHub WAN Connection to 4G Modem/Router

worthywow3
Explorer

Hi! My fibre broadband went down two days ago and was informed today it may take until 31st July to fix - hopefully sooner but since we run two businesses from home this is a bit of a problem!

I have a 4GEE mini wifi hub which is working ok but the phone signal is weak where I am so I have put it on a 3m wooden batten sticking out the window! We have a Victorian three storey house so the “wifi on a pole” only works in a few rooms!

EE customer services are considering sending me a better 4G router - ideally this will have an ethernet port – I’m hoping to site this (or another 4G router) outside and then connect it via wired ethernet to the Smart Hub WAN port with the aim to then use our existing wired home LAN network with EE smart wifi disks.

My question is will this work? I couldn’t see any WAN related settings in the hub GUI.

If not can you use the EE smart wifi disks with any other routers? This is not a major problem since I have plenty of old wireless access points I can manually set up if needs be.

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Richard

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

I don't see it working as the mobile router's Ethernet ports are meant for other devices to be connected instead of by WiFi, but I've never tried it. If you do you'll end up with a double NAT.

There is the WAN Port ON/OFF on the EE SH's Advanced > BB > Internet page. This is usually OFF unless you are connecting to a modem or FTTP.

The EE product page for the EE Smart WiFi discs says they only work with the EE Smart Router, so not even the Smart Hub.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

I now think I might be using the wrong phrase for the 'Smart Hub' - I have checked and I actually have a Smart Router  which may or may not help!

I am thinking about one of these as an alternative to bypass the Smart Router completely for now

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/3g-4g-router/tl-mr6400/ 

I'll connect it wired to my Cisco switch which runs the wired home network which I'll then add a couple of wifi access points. I reckon this should work?!

No reason for it not to work. I used a 4G mobile router temporarily when my BB was down but I don't have umpteen devices. It was excruciatingly slow 😞 !

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)