Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Router / PS5 - NAT Type 1

Minty_Cymru
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi all

Is it possible to get a NAT type 1 for a PS5 through a Smart Router?

I've

• Assigned a static IP for the PS5
  • Forwarded ports 1935 & 3478 to 3480 (internal & external, TCP/UDP)
  • Also tried placing PS5 in the DMZ

None of the above works, the PS5 still reports a NAT Type 2.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Minty_Cymru

Welcome to the community.

Could you explain a bit about why you're looking to do that? Do you have a problem?

Chris

Minty_Cymru
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Of course

When playing FPS shooter games, ping is king. In a 'shoot off' scenario I often find myself at a disadvantage due to a little latency. It's a battle I've been fighting for years 😂

My ping is quite good (15ms) although still going through a moderate nat (NAT Type 2) which means there is still some room for improvement.

I want to trial it in open nat (type 1) to see if it improves the performance.

Is it even possible to achieve a NAT Type 1 on this router? both of what I've done so far (port forward and DMZ) should give me a NAT type 1.

Christopher_G

OK thanks, @Minty_Cymru

Mine is defaulted to 'NAT Type 2' as well, and I'm a beast on Warzone. 😉

The only unofficial remedies that I can see from searching online is port forwarding, which you've said you already tried, as well as other things. I haven't read anything to say that changing the NAT type will improve your ping. It seems to be more for match-making and voice chat.

@XRaySpeX - Do you have any thoughts on this?

Chris

Don't understand consoles' NAT Types nor where they dream them up from. Routers don't have NAT Types.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Minty_Cymru
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It's looking like this is in the 'no' category then 😂

I ain't no beast in any game (which is why I'm trying to improve my chances....)

I gave up on CoD when I switched from PS4 to PS5. I'm into BF2042 now, and have always played HC which means fastest gun wins.

Christopher_G

I may have been exaggerating, @Minty_Cymru

I've never played Battlefield before. I watched a couple of online streams when the last game came out. It looks a lot of fun. 🙂

Chris

Ian06
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hmmm yes NAT types is a strange way to describe this, but apparently that's what MS XBOX and Sony PS do.

What they are really talking about is how the router (or firewall) handles unsolicited incoming connection requests... in gamming, this is for starting up conversations or allowing people to join multiplayer games.

The game apps need to incoming connection requests to be forwarded to the PS or XBOX etc. so the external player can join.  

Putting the games console in a DMZ or port forwarding to the console ought to solve the issue,  I guess to do this the games console needs to have a static IP - Dependant on the router used and it's capabilities.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

There are 3 types of connection offered by Openreach to ISP's

1, Speed , which may not be stable.

2, Speed and stability, which balances the two.

3, Stability, which may sacrifice speed to ensure stability.

Most ISP's choose option 2.

I know a few gamers were switched to option 1 by BT a few years ago by request,  but if this is still possible or if EE even do it I don't know.

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Minty_Cymru  there are lots of good pages on the internet explaining NAT types, and the best you will get via any Router is type 2.

This article in PureVPN.com is one of the better ones I have seen.

Changing port types suggested by @pip11  won't make a difference to your NAT type, but

may reduce ping times slightly.

https://www.purevpn.com/blog/nat-types/ 

Putting your device in the DMZ and having a static IP would only be needed if you wanted to access your device from elsewhere on the internet, but leaves it very open to attack. Even if EE provided static IP's there are better ways to do things these days.