cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hybrid Connect... with a non-SH+ router

Kyrrra
Explorer

Recently switched from BT to EE, got sent all the new router faff.

However, I recently picked up an  Asus AiMesh router and a plethora of mesh nodes to blanket the home in glorious high-speed radiation.

We got the SH+, Smart Hybrid Connect and a mesh node in the post from EE.
As the router only delivers WiFi 6, and has a fairly major lack of configuration options, I've simply left the SH+ in the box and set the Asus router up via PPPoE.

Now, I'd like to use the Smart Hybrid Connect - always good to have redundancy for worst-case scenarios. We notice if the network is down in a matter of minutes, the whole house is 'smart'.

My tests so far only seem to show the SHC connecting to the SH+ and refusing in any way, shape or form to connect to the Asus-provided network. It sits there blinking in fail-to-pair mode vs with the SH+ where it connects in a few minutes.

What I'd like to understand is... is there a way to make use of the SHC without the SH+? And by extension, the mesh node from EE, or do I just have a bunch of  new hardware to shove in a cupboard/return?

1 REPLY 1
Kyrrra
Explorer

As an update to any who are interested:
- Asus router set as primary connected to web via PPPoE
- SH+ connected LAN to Asus LAN
- Asus router configured to dual-WAN setup: SH+ set as 'Ethernet LAN' and left as auto-ip WAN connection type. Configured as failover.
- Smart Hybrid Connect paired with SH+ by ethernet
- WiFi disabled on SH+

Guess I just need to get in touch with the helpdesk now, seems I have a hardware fault - the SHC is failing to find a mobile signal (tried moving it all over before disabling wifi  - we get decent mobile coverage everywhere in the house normally). Just to be clear on this, it has paired quite happily with the SH+ but I am getting the red flashing bars of doom for the signal.