Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub Plus-DHCP configuration

me1231
Investigator
Investigator

I just received my Smart Hub Plus.

Previously Virgin customer and their Hub was working in modem mode and all DHCP assignment was done by my ASUS router.

Almost all devices use static addresses, some of them need to stay connected to existing WIFI(home control system)

Is there a way to setup Smart Hub Plus to not use build in DHCP server only one from my ASUS router(I found option to switch off, changes Hub adress to one of my Range) but then when  I connect to Smart Hub WiFi I cannot access to home configuration page , unless I use my existing network.

So mostly I want use EE SmartHub as AP, my question is how this should be wired UP, 

As I understand WAN socket still going to be connected with OpenReach box, and ethernet ports to my existing router?

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you connecting SH+ LAN -> Asus WAN?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

No, so far testing internal connection.

What I want setup is that SH+ is passing WAN connection to my ASUS, and SH+ WiFi sill working but assign addresses by DHCP server in ASUS.

I know it`s easy when DHCP server will be enabled in SH+, and disabled in ASUS,(now now Virgin pass WAN IP to ASUS,where is located DHCP, then ASUS have WiFI on, and also from LAN connection is done to two next routers with own WiFI network, both use ASUS as DHCP.

My question was can I use second router in row as DHCP Server and how to connect this.

If not I will need to change whole system configuration(around 70 devices)

I just told you!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I understand, but is this will work with DHCP off in SH+(ASUS Use , what if I connect to SH+ WiFi? What IP will be assigned to connected device?

JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@me1231 You need to forget, you are NO LONGER with virgin, and the EE router DOES not work like it's so has no modem mode, this mode is the easy get out of jail setup so you don't have to think. Connect as advised, the Asus router's are smart when you are connected to the device, you can use your client connected to see what your IP is issued. On mine EE is default range 192.168.1.x and Asus is 192.168.50.x.

JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@me1231 Have you considered, if on fibre fttp, just plugging the Asus direct onto the OR ONT port and not even using the EE router?