cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Frequent disconnects

dacr17
Investigator
Investigator

I am experiencing the same issue. Broadband constantly drops, and no, it's not wifi, but the entire router, here's a sample of a message I get digging up the router log:

WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected. [ERROR_NO_CARRIER]

I have had 2 OpenReach engineers over to confirm line is fine. EE has sent me a new SmartHub, but to no avail. I am very **bleep**ed with this, as both I and my partner work from home, and have constant Teams meetings. Unfortunately I've just signed another contract extension, so I feel stuck with this ridiculous service..

15 REPLIES 15
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@dacr17 : Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.
  • For other routers: login to it according to the label on it as the admin user & navigate looking for its router/connection statistics.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@dacr17    even if you had not just signed a new contract, if you still have a fault on your line it needs to be fixed. Unfortunately faults are not always able to be identified straight away,  sometimes complex faults can take time to identify and fix. 

If you post the information requested above we maybe able to help to get the line fixed.

HTH

Here's the information you'd requested:

Product name

EE Smart Hub

Serial number

+EEH001+2050003114

Firmware version

v0.08.02.12273-EE (Tue Dec 27 16:07:25 2022)

Board version

Data sent / received

263.2 MB / 99.0 MB

DSL uptime

0 days 0 Hours 24 Mins 55 Secs

Data rate

18.02 Mbps/80.00 Mbps

Maximum Data rate

18.0 Mbps/80.8 Mbps

Noise margin (up/down)

6.0/4.1

Line attenuation (up/down)

23.8/18.7

Signal attenuation (up/down)

23.7/18.7

Broadband username

2.4 GHz wireless network name

2.4 GHz wireless channel

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless network name

5 GHz wireless channel

Smart (Channel 48)

Wireless Security

WPA

Wireless mode

Mode 1

Firewall

MAC address

60:8D:26:89:D3:83

Software variant

-

Boot loader

0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec  4 17:32:53 2017)

I've purposefully removed the network name information. As you can see, the last time I've had a dropout was 24 mins ago.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks but remove your BB Username.

Locate the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (QLT), dial 17070 Opt 2, preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Reboot the router & plug it into the test socket. Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I have to say, you have the same response to everyone, which makes me wonder whether you're a human or a bot. I'm inclining to believe the latter, as you seem to have totally ignored the fact that I had 2 OpenReach engineers come over and run a bunch of tests (one even replaced the entire OpenReach box), so I don't see any point in doing your tests. 

Is there anything else you can suggest?

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

thanks @dacr17   I guess the good news is that you are quite close to the cabinet and have close to the max speeds, and that DLM has not yet reduced your speeds due to the drops.

Was there anything that happened 24 mins agao that could have caused the drop? Even walking past the socket could cause a problem, but testing from the hiddent test socket should identify that. 

I don't seem to be able to get broadband connected when using the test socket. Here's the status information I get from the router:

Product name

EE Smart Hub

Serial number

+EEH001+2050003114

Firmware version

Board version

Broadband username

2.4 GHz wireless channel

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless channel

Smart (Channel 48)

Wireless Security

WPA

Wireless mode

Mode 1

Firewall

MAC address

Software variant

-

Boot loader

No, nothing special happened when broadband dropped. Me and my partner are both sitting at our desks when it happens.

Product name

EE Smart Hub

Serial number

+EEH001+2050003114

Firmware version

Board version

Broadband username

2.4 GHz wireless channel

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless channel

Smart (Channel 48)

Wireless Security

WPA

Wireless mode

Mode 1

Firewall

MAC address

Software variant

-

Boot loader

I can't seem to connect using the test socket. Not sure why.

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@dacr17   are you using one of the dangly filters that come with the router when trying to connect in the test socket?