cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: False advertising by EE - bait and switch?

linuxdriver
Investigator
Investigator

I have a similar experience , signed up on 4 March 2022 to a 24 month unlimited 36 meg full fibre starting 6 April 2022 on promotion as a long term EE mobile customer .

This offer was withdrawn on 14 March by EE claiming its unavailability in my postcode . As termination date approached I was pressurised to accept an inferior FTTC service at a higher price . I have since learned that a neighbour 2 doors down has full fibre  !

4 days after switchover I am stuck with a much slower service than before at a higher price . Please let me know options before I go to Ofcom

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

@linuxdriver 

Just because your neighbour 2 doors down has full fibre doesn't mean you can get it 

I used to live in a street where the street up to my neighbour had full fibre but from my house onwards didn't.

If We can't provide it to you then they won't sell you s package for it.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@linuxdriver : What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it (make sure you include this), blanking out your phone number or address. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Then do the same for your neighbour.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
TheReturn
Investigator
Investigator

As mentioned already just because your neighbour has full fibre doesn’t mean you can. You could be fed from a different box completely which has been upgraded or upgraded but not activated, it could also be delayed.

And how were you pressured into taking a lower service?

Thanks for the replies, I can confirm FTTP is still advertised as available to our address and its neighbours by several vendors including EE .

I believe withdrawal of an agreed offer of an essential service close to the termination date is pressurising to a registered blind person not wishing to restart the process which is very difficult with severe sight impairment .

I was persuaded by EE to choose a more expensive service than that offered by competitors ,later

substituted with an inferior option at the same price but still more expensive than the superior service previously provided by another company .

I shall check these matters with the regulators .

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @linuxdriver

Have you been able to speak with our customer care team regarding your plan/service?

Does the availability checker provide you with the speeds which you are receiving?

Katie 🙂

Thanks for the reply

Customer service acknowledged but have not yet answered my message sent
several days ago

The BT availability checker suggests 200meg for my location via FTTP . The
FTTC provided struggles to maintain 10meg , interestingly the FTTC
previously in situ raised 17 meg with much less latency and bufferbloat
confirmed by router logs

Overall feel like the poor relation who is expected to pay up and shut up

@linuxdriver  I suspect there may be some confusion over what the BTW DSL checker is telling you. 200Mbps is not an FTTP offering.

If you post the results after entering your phone number as previously requested we should be able to help clear things up for you.

Not sure how you have messaged CS, as far as I was aware there is no email  to do so?

Thanks for the reply

Visual impairment prevents redaction, please find attached a cropped screenshot from BT Wholesale availability checker for my address and neighbours sharing the same cabinet.BTWholesale checker result.png

Confirming FTTP availability (screenshot from cropped BT Wholesale checker status attached)BTWholesale checker status.pngI await a plausible explanation why this offer was withdrawn yet is still being advertised for my location presumably to attract customers.

I also await a response regarding the 50% deterioration in line speed, increased drop out rate and buffer bloat since changing FTTC supply to EE. Recent tests suggest my service is below the 10th centile in this region. DSL test.pngEElinkedtesttoday.png
EE linked test.png
My landline was terminated by agreement with EE , although not asked for my telephone number before please do not ask me to supply personal information on this platform. I refer you to EE privacy policy for clarification if required. 

Please do not be concerned about my ability to communicate with Customer service, I attach a cropped acknowledgement screenshot for your reassurance and shall forward this message  to them to expedite a reply . Customer Service acknowledgment.png

These unpleasant circumstances impact on services essential to my domestic support and safety , I thank XRaySpeX again for his helpful reference to the BT Wholesale checker but will not engage further on this forum. It is time to pursue options elsewhere. 

What exchange is this cabinet 3? 

Your speeds indicate that you are not on FTTC Fibre at all but on ADSL2+. Also confirmed by absence of VDSL in BTw table. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)