cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: EE Smart Router/ BT Smart Hub 2 Combined WiFi Bands of Public Concern

Gordon460
Explorer

I have just changed from EE to BT Broadband. We currently have the EE smart hub and been issued the BT Smarthub 2, which I am assuming are effectively the same hubs

The change over is due today but the Internet still works though the EE router. Will I still be able just to continue to use the EE router instead of swapping onto the BT router to save the hassle of connecting all devices to the new hub or will I benefit from the new hub at all?

11 REPLIES 11
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Gordon460 : Depends on which BT BB product you've switched to. Which is what?

The EE & BT routers you mention are not the same:

• The black EE Smart Hub is based on the BT Home Hub Type B or BT Smart Router & only works on VDSL.
  • The white EE Smart Router is based on the BT Smart Router 2 & works on VDSL & G.Fast.

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

A quick correction:

The black EE Smart Hub is based on the BT Smart Route, often referred to as the BT Home Hub 6.

Sorry, I meant BT HH6 but it must be Type B with Port 4 the red labelled WAN port & not the original Type A without WAN port.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi, 

It is the white EE route I currently have and I have now been supplied the black BT smart router 2.

Will it cause any issues if I do not change the routers over? I don't see the point if they are effectively the same

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

It might! They are equivalent but the BB creds will be different. You will need to consult the BT wallahs whether BT BB accepts/ignores EE creds or you will need to change them to the standard user-independent BT creds. 

C.f. EE BB does accept the BT creds.

@Gordon460  there are a couple of things which you may wish to consider.

As already mentioned, BT and EE use different Broadband Usernames and passwords, I suspect your EE one will not work for long on the BT network with your EE details. Once you account closes, it should be deleted but I have no idea how long that will be. You could change the EE Router username to bthomehub@btbroadband.com password may or may not be bt, and see if it works.

Alternatively, on the BT Hub, change the SSID (Wireless name and password to be the same as your EE Hub, then you won't have to change your devices. Just remember to put them back if you ever factory reset the Hub..

One advantage of the BT Hub is it's ability to add the Wireless Mesh Discs if you have issues with Wireless around the house. Aparently the new BT ones only work with a BT Smart Router.

It is irrelevant whether or when users' EE BB creds are deleted from EE's Authentication Servers. BT BB will never consult them. The only Q remains as to whether BT BB will ignore the EE creds in the router much like EE BB accepts BT creds.

margaretenglish
Visitor

You haven't answered my question which is that I have just moved to EE from BT and still using a BT hub, does it need changing to an EE hub?

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @margaretenglish,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

I'd recommend using your new EE hub.

Thanks

James