cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency / Ping Spikes after upgrade - Hub and Internet problems.

TrueWill
Investigator
Investigator

Hello All
i have a query and i hope someone has the solution.
Ive called the help line and it sends a text for me to reply FAULT etc, but it doesnt find a "problem" with the service....
Essentially the issue is:
Latency Spike - Since the upgrade from Full Fibre 100 to Full Fibre 500 which became effective from today 27/04/2024. 
I received the new BT/EE Smart Hub Plus which is to replace the BT Smart Hub 2. I installed the hub and tried the net speed, initially it went to 190mpbs (approx 21mb). Then i tried to play any games that requires constant / consistent internet connection, i started to receive latency spikes from 20ms to 1094ms etc, it happens at every 20-30 second intervals and its terrible. It would seem this is the problem for video calling as well, which would be quite a problem for work.
I reset the hub etc, things that the IT or helpdesk would advise and still got the same problem. I looked on the forums and it would seem a lot of people have a similar issue. I tried the SmartHub2 again and it doesnt spike in latency but when i test the net im only getting 70mpbs (9mbs). But then that defeats the purpose of paying more for the "faster internet".
Has anyone resolved the problem with the new smart hub?

Many thanks

William 

16 REPLIES 16

My games console is connected via ethernet, gaming is not my issue.

According to my most recent chat my devices are deciding to all use the 5ghz bandwidth which is the problem. It's MY devices that are the issue, it's MY security camera which is the problem and can't find the 2.4ghz band.

Although I have the exact same devices in my house as I did when I had the old EE hub 3 months ago, it's MY devices problem. Of course.

I was also told I'm under no WiFi guarantee with my package, so I guess even if they provide firmware and hardware that's WiFi seems to just not work doesn't matter.

JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@allyjaay Have you logged into the router on web interface to see what is going on, Do you know that the 2.4ghz signal is reaching the camera, tried to turn of the 5Ghz temp to get the camera to pair to the hub. Once they pair together they normally stick, wi-fi can be difficult at times, you say replacement hub, was it like for like, or older to newer?

It was like for like, and yes I manually tried to turn off and on the 2.4ghz band but the security camera still could not find the router. During turning off the 2.4ghz channel for whatever reason that shut off the WiFi completely. My PC is hardwired so I went upstairs to access the hub settings thinking maybe id turned the WiFi off by mistake but no I was quite right only the 2.4ghz was off... I had to reboot the hub to get any WiFi working again.

After 2.45 hours on the phone and 3 different guides, one honest guide would tell me yes the smarthub 3 quite a few known issues with connectivity with the new hub. Then being called back by another pretty much gas lighting meter telling me it's my devices that's the problem and the last guide was lying... You can't make it up!

He seemed not to understand 

New hub = problem

Old hub = no problem  but apparently my devices are the problem 

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@allyjaay : The most you can do is on the Advanced > Wireless Settings page to temporarily disable the 5 GHz WiFi band & move off the Smart channel while connecting problematic 2.4 GHz devices.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for looking into all this, ive called them up and explained to them the issues ive been getting. 
Ive told them it seems to be the hub thats the problem. But they insisted on getting an engineer out as they were able to identify that there are black spots in the connection. So just waiting on them to come and shall see what happens. 

i was originally using the BT Smart hub 2, but they decided to send me the "new" SmarthubPlus... but then thats when all the problems started happening

It's definitely a widespread problem with the smarthub 3!

But beware they will literally GAS LIGHT you on the telephone, stick to your guns. 

Finally I'm getting a smarthub 2 back, fingers crossed this will help.