Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Max 100/300

tuke8
Investigator
Investigator

Hi 
i just want to know if router supports gfast (i mean build in gfast modem) 
and does this need to be installed into master socet aswell?
i just dont have space 
thx

19 REPLIES 19
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Fibre Max comes with the EE Smart Router which incorporates G.Fast. Like all DSL BB it needs plugging into the master phone socket.

As well as what? What don't you have space for? What else have you plugged into the master phone socket? Can't you just use a splitter or dangly filter? Explain your problem! I'm sure it'll be surmountable.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
tuke8
Investigator
Investigator

I'm thinking about 150mb but i have a problem with the master socket location, it's in the tiny corridor next to the main door, well my question is that does it have to be connected to master socket or it will work in another sockets as well what are in the house? 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tuke8,

It's recommended that you connect your router directly to your master socket.

James

i understand that but it will work in upstairs socket? Maybe I lose 10mb? 

@tuke8 : It is not to be recommended to use anything other than the master socket, particularly for G.Fast. It won't be just a matter of speed but more of interference & noise. Can't you run an extension cable?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tuke8,

It would depend on the quality of your internal wiring. The only way to check would be to try it.

James

well atm i have Plusnet 65mb and I never had problems with speeds when my router is connected upstairs socket its been a very stable connection last 5 years I understand g fast is a little bit different, but how much different if I lose 15mb just for extra distance its fine.    

G.Fast is more fragile than VDSL. But suck it & see!

@tuke8   , so impossible to predict what you will get.you may get an idea if you enter your number in the DSL checker and post the results, obscuring your phone number.

If you are getting 65Mbps on an extension, I would have thought you would be getting 80Mbps on a filtered master socket or test socket. But as has already been said, G-Fast is even more demanding on ancient telephone wiring.

A better solution would be to get the master socket moved to where you need it, however getting Openreach to do so is likely to cost circa £150.