cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE home broadband very slow

Soti399645
Explorer

Hello @Christopher_G @XRaySpeX ,

I recently moved in a new flat and registered with EE for home broadband. This is ADSL internet since the leaseholder/freeholder "doesn't want cables flying around the property" when I asked approval for installing fiber optics. The advertised speed for home broadband at my flat was between 8-16 Mbps. Instead what I am getting is top speed of 4Mbps but mostly 3Mbps. Is this what I should expect to be the normal speed? I get that EE has a minimum guaranteed speed of 3Mbps but that's not inside the range they provided and basically makes the service useless (not even working from home) if the minimum guaranteed speed is the average speed. Simple websites take forever to load if not fail at all.

I post the router (bright box) data in case there is any settings that can be done to fix this.

DSL STATUS

This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.

STATUS

Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+)

DATA RATE INFORMATION

UpstreamDownstream
655 (Kbps)
5359 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION

Operation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
5.4 (dB)15.0 (dB)
21.3 (dB)24.0 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
12.8 (dBm)0.0 (dBm)
----
----
----

STATISTICS

Received DataTransmitted Data
2259619 (Kbits)
459315 (Kbits)

SYSTEM LOG

This page shows various system events like administrator login/logout, broadband connection status.
System Uptime is: 01:15:10

ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability DateWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 14--8 to 18Available
Up to 14Up to 18 to 18Available
Up to 7--6.5 to 8Available
2----Available
2----Available
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 14--8 to 18Available--
Up to 7--8 to 18Available--
Up to 2--6.5 to 8Available--
Other Offerings Availability DateADSL Multicast
Available
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
N
Soti399645_0-1665595347761.png

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You should be getting 18 Meg Down instead of the 5.3 Meg that you are at the mo'. Does your BB keep re-sync'ing at lot regularly?

Locate the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (QLT), dial 17070 Opt 2, preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Reboot the router & plug it into the test socket. Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

P.S.: Exactly how many extra/longer cables does Fibre use than ADSL? I can't find them 😉 & I've moved from 1 to t'other!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks a lot for the prompt response. I did use the test socket as well (see pictures attached). The results are now even below the 3Mbps but it was like that even before I use the test socket in some instances. The router I don't know how to check if it's resyncing a lot (the internet and wifi symbols are green but blinking real fast  but I think thats normal). Also tried with ethernet but not improvement on download speed.

Here are the results from the test socket.

DSL STATUS

This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.

STATUS

Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+)

DATA RATE INFORMATION

UpstreamDownstream
664 (Kbps)
5131 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION

Operation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
5.8 (dB)15.1 (dB)
21.3 (dB)24.0 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
12.8 (dBm)0.0 (dBm)
----
----
----

STATISTICS

Received DataTransmitted Data
275922 (Kbits)
73529 (Kbits)
This page shows various system events like administrator login/logout, broadband connection status.
System Uptime is: 02:40:45

Soti399645_0-1665599692175.pngIMG-7222.jpgIMG-7223.jpg

  

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What about the QLT? That is important. Also: 

Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

You'll see the BB light go red when the router re-syncs. It's done that twice in the last 2h40m, which is too much but 2h40m is not really a sufficient sample..

The speed that matters is the sync speed, about 5 Meg, reported by the router. The lower wireless speeds are variable due to your local conditions & you should get faster over Ethernet.

Leave it alone plugged into test socket for at least 7 days & don't reset or resync the router yourself. Then post the full router stats & System Uptime. If you must do speedtests do them wired.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Soti399645 wrote:

I get that EE has a minimum guaranteed speed of 3Mbps but that's not inside the range they provided and ... if the minimum guaranteed speed is the average speed.

The Min. Guaranteed Speed is not meant to be an average speed & it is always below the estimated range, being the max. sync speed that EE will guarantee to investigate your speed issues & let you go if they can't. You cannot appeal to that Guarantee as your sync speed of 5 Meg consistently is above the Guarantee of 3 Meg.