cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE TV modem questions

RG999
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm looking at taking up EE broadband and TV on a new FTTP connection.

1.  If I want to use the TV Box Pro, would I have to use the provided EE Smart Hub or could I use my own router instead?

2.  I currently have my own router feeding a complex ethernet network and WiFi mesh.  I don't want the Smart Hub router feeding my own router, giving double NAT problems.  Is there a way I can get a modem only feed from the Smart Hub, perhaps then feeding the TV Box from my own router?  

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@RG999 : 

1. You may use any compatible router. However if you want Digital Landline you must use the supplied EE SH+.
  2. The SH+ can't run as Modem-Only but you can switch off all WiFi from it.
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@RG999 : 

1. You may use any compatible router. However if you want Digital Landline you must use the supplied EE SH+.
  2. The SH+ can't run as Modem-Only but you can switch off all WiFi from it.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
RG999
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That sounds very hopeful, thank you!

So I could use my DrayTek router instead of the SmartHub and feed the TV Box from it.  That would be great.

The Digital Voice isn't a problem, I have a separate VOIP service.

Thanks again.

Yes.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

pyrotenax
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

There is no need for you to use the provided modem/router from your ISP. There are many of us on here that use our own equipment and have a varied degree of complicated setups 

RG999
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That's what I hoped, but I posted the question here because I particularly needed to know about the EE TV Box

and I had read at

https://ee.co.uk/help/broadband/getting-started/using-and-configuring-a-third-party-router

(my bold)

• f you have EE’s Digital Home Phone service, you'll need to use your EE or BT hub as your primary router.
  • other products and services, like EE TV, Smart WiFi, Smart Hybrid Connect and WiFi Enhancer, are also dependent on your EE or BT hub and might not work with third-party routers.

Derang
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I’m fairly certain the box pro or mini boxes need to be connected to the smart hub.  Only the Apple tv 4K can work with any router.

something to do with multicast packets, my own setup was similar to yours and I couldn’t get the box pro to work with my eero mesh ended up replacing it with standard to link WiFi repeaters connected to the smart hub plus.

be interested to see if you get it to work.

RG999
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Well that's not good news. 

I have a large network based around the existing router, and I wouldn't try to replicate it with a basic ISP supplied device. Feeding my router from the EE/BT router would mean double NAT and that's out of the question too.

So I'll have to think again.

Many thanks for all the advice here.

RG999
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Could someone help me please with a link to the full spec for the EE+ router, including user menu options? 

All I can find online is a basic startup guide.

EE don't do specs but others have reviewed it, e.g. ISPReview - EE Launch 1.6Gbps Full Fibre Broadband Plan and WiFi 6 Router