cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Smart Hub SH31B & BT Halo 3 black discs.

GrandadSpike
Investigator
Investigator

I have just switched from BT to EE after receiving an email from BT, as I need 7 Halo discs to cover my old Cottage with 2ft + thick stone walls, I have to mainly feed the discs on Cat6 cables. Because of this I asked the advisor several times are these compatible with the new EE router & was always assured they were.

have sent many hours on the phone yesterday I was eventually assured by a “technical manager” that they are, but I need to factory reset both the hub which is still in the box & the disc before trying to connect them together.

Does anyone know whether this is going to work please, the BT discs are black as is the new hub?

I’ve also seen many post saying the new EE is nowhere near as good as the BT full fibre 900 that people (like me) have had before, does any have one that works please??

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

15 REPLIES 15

Hi garywood84 I realise that, but EE will not give me anymore than 3, maybe 4 of the new discs, given that I need to hardware the 4 discs to get around my thick stonewalled cottage & the use a further 3 discs to feed the rest of the cottage that’s not going to work. I only changed to that EE package because BT told me I needed to move to EE. 

Thanks for your help though, much appreciated.

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks, @GrandadSpike. Sales told me that I could only have a maximum of 3 Smart WiFi devices, but I had more than that with BT, and I just called 150 after the initial devices were delivered and ordered more. It was straightforward and they sent them to me without any problems.

I would like to be contacted to, as I have just set up the new router/disc and have a substandard Wi-Fi delivery.I was told the black discs would work, but cannot connect them to new system. 

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@OrchardBarnSN It's possible that the black, BT Complete WiFi discs will work, but the EE Smart Hub Plus is WiFi 6 and the BT discs are WiFi 5, so they will limit the speed of your WiFi to less than the new hub is capable of providing. You'd be better to replace the black discs with the new EE Smart WiFi repeaters, to keep all of your network WiFi 6.

Thanks, interestingly enough, since October I've gone from BT fullfibre 500, and eventually getting a engineer out to set up discs, to migrating to EE, and told that this system was more powerful, and I'd only need 1 disc, but i could link up the discs!

It would seem that the BT/EE call handlers aren't up to speed 

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@OrchardBarnSN They definitely are not, many of them by their own admission. One I spoke to last week did her best to help me, but confirmed that she'd only be trained on EE the day before.

It's true that WiFi 6 is more powerful than WiFi 5. But you shouldn't settle for using the black discs. You are paying for Smart WiFi at a cost of £10 per month for 24 months, and this includes three Smart WiFi repeaters. So, if there are areas of your home where you are getting slower speeds, contact 150 and ask for your additional devices, so that you can replace all the black BT Complete WiFi discs.