cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Home Hub and parental controls

SarahW30
Visitor

We have recently joined EE for our Broadband.  All the other internet providers we have been with I have been able to log into my account and set up parental controls for the router so that it covers all the devices in the house using the Wi-Fi.  I have not been able to do this with the EE Router so far.  I have seen the option to download Norton.  The laptop I use at home belongs to my employer and I am not allowed to add any software to it so I can't see how to do this.  Currently not able to prevent the kids looking at adult content (if they choose)!  Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

None! EE does not provide any Parental Controls other than a free licence to Norton Family. You could install it on their mobiles but I suspect you need to control it from your PC.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I simply cannot believe this - I have also just switched to EE and to find ZERO parental controls at ISP or router level. My kids are way to smart (aren't they all) for anything installed and locked onto a device - and they have too many devices anyway....and their friends come around.....what do you do then?? Sorry kid, before you come in the house I need to install some software on your phone??. We also can't install Norton onto school issued equipment. Unless there is a solution I'm switching back to another BT supplier!!

Super annoyed..!! 

I'm with you on this.  Norton is rubbish! I'm looking to switch because this isn't acceptable at all! If I had known I would never have gone with EE! 

@portal223344 , @SarahW30 , @Evaworsfold : Have a look at OpenDNS Family Shield . It only needs the DNS changing on your router & does not require you to install s/ware on your kid's devices..

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @Evaworsfold ,

The above is a very good suggestion. I would caution against the parent being less smart than the kids by pointing out that DNS resolves names such as "badthing.com" to numbers such as 6.6.6.6 without actually preventing access to 6.6.6.6

Imagine a map of SOHO with all the bad places marked, OpenDNS Family Shield would be the equivalent of providing a map omitting showing the bad places, but without preventing you from going there. Many mobile phones use their own DNS for privacy shielding and 8.8.8.8 is generally well-known as Google DNS to aid in circumventions. Good luck!

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
River-thames
Visitor

I feel the same.  I moved from BT Broadband to EE mobile broadband because I only have copper on my street.  I'm shocked there is Parental Control available.  A clear oversight, or laziness.

nosilaweir
Visitor

I feel the same it is shocking there is not this simple feature to be able to block your children from seeing 18+ content!!!  EE you'll need to sort this out as you'll have many very unhappy parents/customers

rbwerere
Visitor

I am shocked too and yet I have just switched from BT to EE. I am not happy and want to switch back to bt

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@rbwerere - there are third party solutions that will do similar to what you had with BT. One (OpenDNS) has been suggested earlier in this thread.

If you need help setting it up then help is at hand.