cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Home App, Black discs connection but Hybrid problems

Greycat70
Investigator
Investigator

Hello, I have newly changed over to EE smart hub + from Bt Smart hub 2 with 6 WiFi discs also 4G hybrid backup.

I was most concerned that I would struggle to get the WiFi coverage throughout with the new smart hub+ even if I did manage to get EE to send the maximum 3 new discs/extenders, or whatever they are now called.

All of the black WiFi discs are connected to the Hub+ by Ethernet.

When I first powered up the new hub+ I went into its settings and changed the SSID & Password to same as my BT hub2 had been. (Probably should have tried more with the App at this stage but had no success with it)

Re-started the hub+ without anything plugged into the Ethernet sockets & checked WiFi signal strength (just with my iPhone) & found it much better than the hub2 (on its own) had been, but nowhere near covering anywhere except the middle section of the house.

Restarted it & plugged in & switched on all the Ethernet Switches & cables.

Looking then at the hub+  it became clear that the discs had all connected, not as discs or extenders, but as devices.

Checking through the house though, very surprisingly  I found full signal strength everywhere, the indicator lights on the discs showing happy blue colour.

Now then. Going to the EE Home App.

It has three options, The first = Set up Router, a painful process which refuses to recognise the Router .

Second option = Smart WiFi , if I try this it goes straight back to wanting to install a Router & then fails to find one.

Third = Test Speed & strangely, this works!

I cannot get the hub to recognise the Hybrid Connect, (even though it used to work on the Hub2) it may be because of the change to Bt credentials on the Hub+ but without the Home App working, I can’t find a way around this.

I spoke to help people yesterday who didn’t manage to help.

I opt to keep the system as it is with the existing full WiFi coverage and not having to reinstall my 50 ish smart switches etc in preference to starting from scratch just in case the App might work ..

But any comments would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Neil-O
EE Community Support Team

@Greycat70 welcome to the community and thanks for posting. The BT Complete wifi discs will not be working with your Smart Hub+ as a mesh system as you've hard-wired these to the Hub. When you're using the app is your phone connected to a disc or directly to the Hub?

The Hybrid connect device you had for use with the Smart Hub 2 is not compatible with the Smart Hub+. With your New EE plan did it include a Smart Hybrid Connect subscription? If so a new device should have been provided.

Thanks

Neil

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

The EE Home app is only intended for the white EE Smart Router, not the EE Smart Hub Plus. The MyEE app is for Managing WiFi Controls.

The black BT Complete WiFi discs are not compatible with the SH+ but the white "high st." BT Whole Home discs are.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Greycat70
Investigator
Investigator

Hello Neil-O & Hello XRaySpex.

The discs may well not be working as Mesh, but they are working as extenders, so they are useful as they are.

It makes no difference if I use the App through a disc or next to the Router, & actuallly same results using iPad or iPhone.

The Hybrid unit I have is branded EE & actually has EE sim fitted. I did ask the Help people about this & they said it is corrrect & should work.

The Plan I have been transferred to  is Fibre 36 Full Works.

I cannot find an Apple App called ‘My EE’, as far as I can see there is only ‘EE’ App which seems to be purely for sales & keeping track of data used on my phone. And The ‘EE Home’ App is supposed to have the functions to add smart WiFi etc.

Cheers

OK, it's the EE app. It does Manage WiFi Controls on the SH+. It's certainly not the EE Home app.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Greycat70
Investigator
Investigator

Update.

The new EE sw31b smart hub+ was faulty and has been replaced. The old EE branded hybrid has also been replaced.

My black discs are unfortunately no longer working with the new hub.

Three sw30 extenders have been fitted & are excellent.

EE App still doesn’t work with my broadband but will do after my phone and broadband accounts are merged, there seems to be a problem with that as it is taking a long time to resolve.

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Neil-O wrote:

The Hybrid connect device you had for use with the Smart Hub 2 is not compatible with the Smart Hub+. With your New EE plan did it include a Smart Hybrid Connect subscription? If so a new device should have been provided.

The BT Hybrid Connect and EE Hybrid Connect devices are identical as far as I know. They do require an active SIM subscription, but assuming that remains unaffected, then I don't think there's any reason why a BT Hybrid Connect unit cannot be paired with an EE Smart Hub Plus.

In doing so though, probably worth a factory reset of the Hybrid Connect, followed by an attempt to pair it using an Ethernet cable.