cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE FTTP 900 Issues

ckent2014
Investigator
Investigator

2 months in to my new fttp connection and I have found EE don't have a clue well at least customer service. speeds expected are gigabit DL and 110 UL 

I was sent a nice white router small round light in the middle.

then the problems started! There seems to be some throughput issue for customers i could get more than 420 DL and 55 UL customer service said there is no issue open reach came back and the light values for fibre are good.

I do some digging and my line is being throttled I tell EE they say impossible  they then check again after saying im a network engineer and recognise the behaviour they then admit the shading value is wrong on my connection after 20 mins on hold.

I've now fixed my issues by purchasing a gigabit switch and a access point (wifi 6) and adding pppoe and dhcp to my switch (mikrotik) 

ee changed the shading value but still my connection was low ive taken ee hardware out and now im getting between 890-910 UL and a consistent 110DL every time.

so if your struggling check shading value with customer service ive fixed my own problem but ee need to fix this issue @myee 

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

If by putting your own kit in you are getting the correct speeds, how can some setting at ISP's end be affecting anything and the line be throttled? At worst it was an EE router issue. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@ckent2014  Wow, you really are a top notch engineer who can get almost 8xupload than download, that must deserve a medal, don't know what it would be for but...

I've been against ISP supplied "All in ones" from the beginning because it ends up as "One size fits all". Which it obviously isn't and yet you as a network engineer, who really should have better sense expects it to be suitable for your needs. Dream on!

mistakes happen when typing however this is a real issue and if people are struggling it should be spoken about and we should be trying to help people there is definitely a issue with the hardware on the fttp 900 package 

this is a mixture of the issues that were found so to start with my line was not activated on the correct tariff and then after it was changed my speeds were still low as to what would be expected on an fttp 900 tariff with a Draytek router its fine however EE are not taking responsibility of there being an issue which could be affecting quiet a few people.

Could it be new hardware is needed for gigabit tariffs or is it just a bug

Ian06
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I recently took EE FTTP connection, but only at 76DL/20UL.

I was suspicious of the white router they provided, it seems like quite an old rebadged BT Home hub.   I had an unused BT Smart Hub 2 from my previous FTTC connection which I configured to work with EE and the general performance seemed much better.  I also had a TP-Link VR600 which also seemed to work much better than the supplied EE white router.

But at 80/20 it's not a big deal for me and the EE router has gone into the cupboard and I'll bring it back out if I need support from EE.

In case you are wondering; my old FTTC connection was a long line from the cabinet and only achieved 15Mb DL and 0.6Mb UL, so a full 76/20 is a huge step up.... 

the whole reason we are here is to share issues and help others whilst I can use my own equipment its not fair if others have this issue and pay for a service and dont get it. EE dont have a option to supply own router and this should change or offer upgrade to something else. nevertheless this is a issue that still persists I have a full speed fttp line and still only get around 350-450 on a good day so what's the point in having gigabit thats with my own hardware

Looking forward to your reply @pip11