Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 1.6Gbps - Router Wan Link

Matt359
Investigator
Investigator

Only getting 800-900mbps download over wifi near the router

In the router status page, wan link speed specifies 1000. I would expect this to be 2500 to be able to support the 1.6gbps service?

The EE guide did not replace my ONT from my BT900 install, is it possible I need that switched to get the correct speeds?

I know wifi isn't the best test, I will be able to test correctly tomorrow as I have a 3rd party router arriving that will have multiple 2.5gbps capable ports so I can wire in with ethernet to my computer to speedtest with.

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Matt359 wrote:

The EE guide did not replace my ONT from my BT900 install, is it possible I need that switched to get the correct speeds?

Looks like it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Matt359   which router are you using at the moment?  Not all are capable of connecting at more than 1Gbps.

How long have you had the ONT, it may well be one of the newer ones already. And do you know the spec of the cable between ONT and router?

Who is this EE Guide you mention? EE do not have engineers in the field as such, but use Openreach or their partners to deliver service.

I've had the ont for almost 2 years now I think. I'm got the Smart Hub Plus EE router.

I had a guide come to the house and setup the router/hybrid connect/Smart WiFi Plus Device. Not an openreach engineer

I rang EE earlier and the guy on the phone told me 1.6g is only being advertised but not available anywhere in the uk yet, so now I'm rather confused

@Matt359   ah OK, then no you will need a new ONT for 1.6. and an Openreach person to instal it.

Although not available everywhere, surely they would not have accepted your order for it if it was not available. What does it say in your confirmation order?

There have already been a number of posts from people with issues getting 1.6, you may benifit from reading and posting in one of them.

Yeah I would have thought the same, I was told it was the 1.6gb package over the phone when I migrated from BT.

I can't check my confirmation/account as they are currently fixing it, my profile currently shows an error when I login.

I'll go have a look at those posts. Not sure what happens if I have been sold the 900 plan after all this and need to cancel. Will it go back to my old BT contract or will I be out of internet entirely