cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the new EE Whole Home boxes work on ethernet from the router?

steckbro
Visitor

I've got one of the EE whole home extenders that BT are using to replace their whole home discs. They have a single ethernet port in the back. I want to know if the port can be used as an input to feed to the broadband from the router by ethernet so it puts out the maximum bandwidth possible (so making it into an access point almost) or if that's only there to use as an output for devices that could do with an ethernet connection?

I'm prepared to install ethernet around my flat if these devices will take the connection from the router permanently and not just to sync with the connection. My lounge is incredibly bad for any kind of wifi, even these extending devices, and as I've found out, my TP-Link power line adapters mute the connection to put out 60mbps at most (out of 500). I have solid walls throughout the property and the main router is at one end of the flat in the front bedroom, the furthest point from my lounge. 

If these devices won't use ethernet to provide the full speed available (minus whatever degradation might occur across 30-40m of ethernet cable) then I might as well cancel them and just install my own access points.

1 REPLY 1
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@steckbro   Have you tried just setting it up to see how it goes ?  You might not even need to have it in the room you require this in it only need to be closer to the room than the actual router.