cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital.Voice curiosity

liamgc1993
Contributor
Contributor

Recently switched FTTP broadband & VOIP provider from Hyperoptic to EE, and had my landline number ported over to keep my contact details the same. As far as I understand it, EE's VOIP landline service is the same thing as BT's Digital Voice, so I will refer to it as Digital Voice from here onwards.

Hyperoptic's VOIP service only allowed one landline telephone to be connected by cable to the router at a time, however I am happy that Digital Voice allows me to connect one telephone to the router and another to the adapter elsewhere in the house.

Both my telephones are separate corded receivers rather than a collection of cordless phones with a master cradle.

Earlier today I was talking to my Nanan on one of my telephones, but then the OTHER telephone started ringing as my Mum was trying to contact me.

Does this mean that I could technically have two calls on the same number at a time?

---------------
I use:
* EE Mobile (2021 - present)
* EE Full Fibre 500 with Smart Hub Plus (2024 - present)
* Digital Home Phone service with two corded handsets via router and BT Digital Voice WPS/DECT adapter (2024 - present)
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Yes see https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice I couldn’t find any reference on EE but the same applies.

Multi Call : Using multiple digital home phones, more than one person can make a call at once.

You can “make 2 calls” or “receive 2 calls” or “make 1 and receive 1 calls”. If you don’t want the 2 calls at a time you can change it in the phone settings.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Yes see https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice I couldn’t find any reference on EE but the same applies.

Multi Call : Using multiple digital home phones, more than one person can make a call at once.

You can “make 2 calls” or “receive 2 calls” or “make 1 and receive 1 calls”. If you don’t want the 2 calls at a time you can change it in the phone settings.

That's so cool!

---------------
I use:
* Digital Home Phone service with two corded handsets via router and BT Digital Voice WPS/DECT adapter (2024 - present)

signal-2024-02-02-22-38-00-428.jpg

 Where can I find the settings to manage this? I think I'd prefer to just do one call at a time

---------------
I use:
Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

On BT it’s through the Hub settings then select Phone, but I don’t know if it’s the same on EE.

Just realised you’ve added an image but it hasn’t been approved yet.

Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@liamgc1993  I see that you are using the EE app. With BT you access the router direct by entering 192.168.1.254 into a browser

I was not using the EE app, you can see in my screenshot I was accessing the EE router's firmware menus via IP address 192.168.1.254

---------------
I use:
Storm500
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

I thought it was the app as it is a different layout to the BT hubs settings. If that is all the phone settings then it doesn’t appear that you can select 2 or 1 lines. Have you tried phoning EE?

Andy_65
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi @liamgc1993 

You can only change MultiCall (1 line or 2) through the Settings on DV handsets. It wasn't a problem initially as BT used to provide one or two free handsets but I believe that they don't do that anymore. It can't be done through the Hub Manager, certainly not on a BT SH2, so your only option is to try contacting EE and see if they're able to change it. Alternatively, buy a DV handset.

I'll ring EE and see if they can turn multi call off for me. Multi call is a cool new feature but I don't really need it, and I don't want to buy a new set of phones when the two corded ones I have are perfectly functional.

If it turns out that EE cannot turn multi call off then it is not the end of the world for me though, and I'm glad to learn it exists

---------------
I use: