cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous broadband drop-outs

RR2000
Contributor
Contributor

Looking to see if anyone is experiencing this, and if I need to ask for a new router

we joined EE early feb, and ever since there has been a few drop offs everyday. The drop offs last for a minute and the LAN light goes off on the ONT, other 2 lights stay green. When the line was first installed this same patttern of turning off happened immediately after the installation for 20 minutes and the engineer said it was due to updates which made sense and is fine. But if these drop offs since installation is still update related then why do they happen without a schedule or warning? We have 3 people working from home so can’t really afford these drop offs, have already had some during meetings and made work a nightmare. We moved from TT standard fibre, and when this EE broadband works its a lot bettter, but right now it’s very inconsistent which I can’t afford. Let me know if anyone can give any insights and if you need anymore info to do so

17 REPLIES 17
Danger88
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same thing for the last 2-3 weeks. Drops off for a few minutes and intermittently comes back on.

As im typing this message it was happening again.

The weird thing is when it does come back on I go back to a really good speed.

I use 2 wifi smart plus boxes to strengthen the signal as I have a large house with 3 floors, maybe that is a possible cause? 

Im probably going to give them a ring to get someone out but it will be difficult as it happens intermittently and they will most likely say “everything is looks fine” which is true most of the time

my speed is 1.6gb ysing the Mesh 6 hub and 2 smart wifi boxes

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@RR2000  that sounds like the ONT is losing its connection to the router - the LAN LED can flash with traffic.

Are you using the correct spec cable between the ONT and router and have you tried another?

Have you spoken with the Broadband Care Team?

https://ee.co.uk/contact-ee/technical-support/broadband-landline 

Have been using the cable that came with the router, think cat5e so fine for me (300mbps). Although I've just changed to a better full copper cat6a cable just in case it was an issue with the provided cable. After changing cables it dropped out about an hour but only for 30 seconds. might try rebooting the modem tomorrow when no one's using the internet

I'll give the care team a call tomorrow as well, assuming they will ask to go through the steps I've tried already so hopefully will help speed up the process

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@RR2000   it is not your product speed, the connection speed between the ONT and router is 1Gbps, but yes Cat5e should be ok with that.

If you are able to log into the router and go to the advanced section and then technical log you make get some more info on the frequency and cause of the drops - but it would no doubt still need further investigation and possible engineer visit. 

Hopefully the Broadband Care Team can get it sorted out quickly.

So called the care team and apparently there’s a fault on the external side which the ‘supplier’ will have to fix. Estimated fix by Thursday although not guaranteed. Guess I just wait till then and hope internet doesn’t drop out for anymore meetings

@Danger88 worth a call if you haven’t already to get it in their system in case same issue as mine

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@RR2000   thanks for the update, hope it gets sorted sooner than later.

Good advice - always good to talk!

Danger88
Investigator
Investigator

@RR2000 Thanks I will give them a call tomorrow and see how I get on.

Hopefully we can both report back with a positive outcome! 

Hey @Danger88 Have you had any luck so far?

Just wondering as my issues have gotten worse in fact… called again today and the agent said they’ll pass onto Openreach so same thing as few weeks ago. which is fine but surely there should be a fixed ETA on this? Been a month now with the new internet and have had issues since, starting to regret the move to be honest constant dropouts during meetings and unsaved work sessions and haven’t been given something like a 4g backup while they fix whatever the issue is

RR2000
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know how hard EE make it to leave their contracts. Only 2 months into a 2 year contract but it’s been dreadful. I’ve had a fault open since day 1 and have made plenty of calls so would that be enough for them to accept me leaving without exit fee or do I need to make formal complaints and whatnot