Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Smart Devices.

robbo1979
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, 

New smart hub installed today. All devices (phones etc) connected to the WiFi, but Smart bulbs (via Gosund and AvatarControls apps) and Smart plugs (Ultrabrite app) just don't wanna play ball.

I have logged into the router settings and temporarily turned off 5g, so it only connects via 2.4g, but none of these devices are connecting still. Obviously with the white router, you can no longer split the bands. 

Any advice on how to get these devices connected would be gratefully received. 

Paul. 

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Only what you've already tried should have worked. You needed also to move off the Smart channel.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@robbo1979   Just to check you have factory reset the bulb? ?    With smart bulbs you do something like switch the on/off the bulbs 5 times to factory reset them.     Until you do this your bulbs are trying to connect to the old router as that’s what they’ve been programmed to do.  

Could you explain how I come off the smart channel please? I've seen this advice on an older thread with a similar question but couldn't see how this is done. I could only change smart channels. Thanks for the help

That's something I never thought of. Thanks for the heads up. I'll give that a try too

In the 2.4GHz Channel choose anything but "Smart".

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I'll have a look when I get home. I seem to recall there being a drop down menu and only being able to choose from various "smart" channels but nothing else. I'll take another gander and get back to you. Thank you for everything so far

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Another thing you can try is selecting a lesser Wi-Fi 'mode' on the Advanced Wi-Fi settings pages. Also, if you have Smart WiFi discs, try turning them off as I think they continue to broadcast a 5GHz signal even if you've disabled the functionality in the hub.

robbo1979
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for all the tips above. I literally took tips from all of you and managed to get it sorted after a lot of effin' and jeffin'!

So I had to disconnect every device connected to the hub that was working on 5g. Turned off 5g. And changed to connection mode 2 (no idea why). I then literally deleted every single device on the respective apps. Cleared all the apps' caches and reinstalled each device.

More by hook or by crook, I eventually got each device working, albeit each time I had to have multiple attempts. Then had to completely re-add everything to Alexa for voice control again.

Wasn't able to figure out how to come off of the "smart" channels, but it worked somehow.

Thanks for the help people. 

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.