Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion over Full Fibre availability

SlobbishFlyer
Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

Looking for some advice for a friend.

They currently have very poor Internet Speed due to the property being the furthest from the Cabinet. I did a Cable Speed Test which was confirmed by an Advisor/Support as being correct due to location (10 Mbps)

One confusing aspect is that the Open Reach post code look up gives us 2 options of an address (same property) , and one being that Full Fibre is available, but the other not. This may of been an issue when we spoke to an advisor. He appeared very competent, and said Full Fibre was available, but we would lose the Phone Number/line  (i didn't actually hear this part of conversation) so not sure what this means, or a misunderstanding.

I know if Full Fibre is ready outside, Engineers will run Ethernet into the property.

Due to a fairly large household, i was thinking a separate Full Fibre Connection in, and keep the existing FTTC  to keep the Phone line as needed for calls abroad.

Perhaps we need to contact them again, and mention that we are showing as 2 addresses. I want to avoid any loss of connection, or a mistake due to upgrading to a package that is actually not available.

Does the additional FTTP connection sound the best option?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@SlobbishFlyer    First of all, the Openreach checker does not go into enough detail to show the detail you need, the BT Wholesale one will - https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

It will also show what speeds you can expect.

Openreach do not connect you via ethernet, they will use Fibre is it is available.

In most cases when doing so, they will remove the copper wire, so you will not be able to have both services from EE.

Some suppliers will convert the existing phone line to a Digital Voice Line via the router, others like EE do not offer this service. The existing PSTN network is due to close by 2025, so if you need your phone number it is best to plan now where possible.

To add to &/or clarify the previous comment :

FTTP (Full Fibre) does not come to the home over copper but over fibre. So there cannot any copper landline with it but if you keep your FTTC as well you may retain your landline as part of that package.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks,

Due to only being used to FTTC, i am not familiar with the new cabling. This is due to recently going to my Parents and discovering Engineers had placed an Ethernet/Cat5 box on the Wall with a cable going into the Wan Port of an Openreach Box. (nothing else connected) Existing Router (talktalk) still in place and going over ADSL and working.

I questioned my elderly Mum on this, as concerned they had done this without permission.

I learned that this was likely getting ready for Full Fibre, but why the the CAT 5, is it due not being able to have fastest Fibre?

Replying quick as laptop playing up. I will chase TalkTalk to ask why they installed the above. I belive they are working in the area, and doing everyone's.

Thanks,

Just replied to Mustrum .

We plan to try and keep the existing FTTC, to keep the phone line if it's necessary

Will update

@SlobbishFlyer   without a bit more detail it is hard to say, but it sounds like they are getting ready to change to full fibre.  The Cat 5, which hopefully is actually %e or even Cat 6, will be the output of the openreach box, and maybe to a box to convert the phone for Digital Voice.

Post the results of the BTW checkers hiding the phone number and we should be able to tell you more.

All of this won;t be done unannounced, not doubt there will be correspondence saying what is happening, so maybe ask about any letters or emails that have come in.

Not sure about the EE connection though? How does that fit in? 

Wholesale report below. Formatting not great, but all info appears their.

I understand about the phone line going with FTTP unless going with another supplier.

I may of confused you regarding the CAT5 Ethernet Cabling, as that was at my parents house along with the Openreach (Box which had a WAN port and 4 standard ports, bit like a standard HUB)  She had a letter regarding having a Engineer visit the property, but i have not seen it)

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) v
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean)
VDSL Range B (Impacted)
11.76.61.20.84.9AvailableAvailable--
11.15.81.20.84.1AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Upto 1000Upto 220--Available1 Stage
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 3--2 to 6AvailableYes
Up to 3Up to 0.52 to 6AvailableYes
Up to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available--
1----AvailableYes
0.5----Available--
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 2.5--2 to 6Available--
Up to 1--1.5 to 5--Yes
Observed Speeds VDSL ADSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2023-02-232019-02-28
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
09-05-2023
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
N

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG congested duct.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Mildenhall exchange:Only single order products are available and ADSL and ADSL2+ products are not shown as available.However for premises that can only be served by SOADSL, BT will continue to accept ADSL and ADSL2+ orders until SOADSL is available.

Thank you for your interest

By submitting a query into this checker you accept Terms of Use for this checker.

VDSL Range B (Impacted)
11.76.61.20.84.9AvailableAvailable--
11.15.81.20.84.1AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Upto 1000Upto 220--Available1 Stage
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 3Up to 0.52 to 6AvailableYes
Up to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available--
1----AvailableYes
0.5----Available--
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 2.5--2 to 6Available--
Up to 1--1.5 to 5--Yes
Observed Speeds VDSL ADSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2023-02-232019-02-28
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
09-05-2023
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
N

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG congested duct.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

if you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Mildenhall exchange:Only single order products are available and ADSL and ADSL2+ products are not shown as available.However for premises that can only be served by SOADSL, BT will continue to accept ADSL and ADSL2+ orders until SOADSL is available.

Thank you for your interest

By submitting a query into this checker you accept Terms of Use for this checker.

Hey @SlobbishFlyer  not a lot more to add, the line is a long way from the cabinet and exchance so ADSL/VDSL speeds are quite low, but FTTP is available. The one thing I did spot that may cause issues:

So the current line is fed via an underground duct, that is congested - they may get away with using the existing copper cable to pull through the fibre.

To get the full story I think you will need to see the letters that have been sent.

Hi,

Yes first part i noticed was the congested Duct.

I think it's risky to get the Fibre being pulled through, as we don't want to lose the existing line at present.

Ideal solution is getting Fibre cable alongside Copper through the Duct. I assume a survey may be done or an Engineer visit to have a look?

If the Engineer says it's possible, we may proceed if my Friend wants too. (very important to not lose any connection)

This is something we can discuss with Sales/support

Thanks for reply

With fibre you have the fibre installed in YOUR house and a little device to convert the fibre to ethernet.

you wont have to lose your phone but will have to have it converted to a digital line with another provider vonage is the most known but is more expensive than many providers

EE wont REMOVE your copper line they will just turn it off

you also could have a totally new install and keep fttc if you want to pay for BOTH services.

It does make me wonder why Openreach didnt have a say 30 days switch over period for the phone line then it could be ported with no loss of line they could add the 1 month line rental on to the install costs (I am sure most people would do this so they can easily get things in place for the switchover)