cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Fiber Max Broadband.

qwrfqe
Investigator
Investigator

I'm subscribed to the Fiber Max 100Mbps deal, I'm am a little confused by the infrastructure, currently I run my internet from a telephone socket from the wall using a micro splitter, providing both ASDL to the Smart Hub (modem) and telephone however I have read other posts that say when you use fiber broadband, you're unable to use a landline, but we have a landline phone and the internet comes from this phone socket as opposed from an ONT box nor do I have a box on the outside where the fiber should be ran through.

I don't believe I am even benefiting from fiber broadband, as both myself and my brother only reach speeds of 20mbps on ethernet connections, can anybody confirm this? can provide more information if need be, thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Then your 100mb fibre max is probibly supplied via G.Fast which is a copper VDSL service and not FTTP.

Am I not entitled to FTTP with the fibre max deal? it says I can get a 900mbps connection to my address but would be pointless if I were limited by the VDSL cable, I will be ringing them up and sorting it later.

Hi @qwrfqe ,

For completeness, you can do a postcode check at the below link.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@mikeliuk 

It says I can get FTTP, can I just ask for the installation?

If you go for FTTP you won't get a landline or any phone service. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I wasn't using full fibre but will probably upgrade to it now, is their a way around to keep the landline? @XRaySpeX 

Hi @qwrfqe ,

Either the previous link or other websites such as uSwitch should show service providers who believe they can offer that service for your postcode.

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/fibre_optic/

It's possible they are mistaken and it's a database error, or it may be that they are willing to do the paperwork to make it possible.

It's likely that any fixed line service provider will have a solution to provide you a landline using a data connection, as the old landline technology is in the process of being discontinued.

If you are friendly with the neighbours, you can ask around to see their experiences of trying to get FTTP. Otherwise the best play is to contact service providers who claim they will provide it and get that confirmed before ordering once you're near the end of your minimum term period with your current provider.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

You're on Fibre Max 100 which is a G.Fast service. The equivalent for FTTP would be Full Fibre 100.

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@qwrfqe wrote:

is their a way around to keep the landline? @XRaySpeX 

Not with EE but you could buy landline only from the likes of BT. Or you go for a VoIP solution & sign up with a VoIP provider. GIYF.