cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged twice for broadband since 2021

Katek4t3123
Investigator
Investigator

So back a while ago I had a phone call saying that my EE broadband was changing & merging with BT so I had to change my provider over to them.

I agreed to this & was told I didn’t need to do anything at all that my router would arrive shortly & that my EE contract would end & so would the direct debit & that the BT contract & debit would commence.

I was told that I didn’t need to do anything at all.

This was around September 2021. Fast forward to now. Going through my debits to see what I could cancel with the current cost of living. Noticed 2 monthly debits from EE (one for my mobile phone) & one from BT.

Upon queried this it turns out that every month since September 2021 I’ve been charged twice for broadband ( £39.33 for BT & EE £47.25) as there has been an error & that the EE should have terminated instead of keeping taking payments.

I did not notice this as I knew an EE payment comes out so it just didn’t flag up my attention. This is a lot of money that has been taken from me £897.75 to be exact & I’ve now been told I can only get a refund for the past 6 months which is around £250.

This was through absolutely no fault of my own so I feel I should rightly be refunded the money that was taken from me. I’m currently seeking further advice regarding this as it’s a lot of money that I will have lost when I was told I didn’t need to do anything at all.

I’ve been a loyal customer for over 20years & paying around £110 every month for my phone bill which has now made me think twice.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I’ve found a lot of posts saying the same thing.

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You can't be paying 2 ISPs for the same BB line. Did you have a 2nd BB line installed by BT & agree to it or did you switch between  FTTP (Fast Fibre) & non-FTTP?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I was & they’ve said that’s what has happened. They were meant to stop the debit for EE but said for some reason it didn’t stop so have been charged twice in error since September 2021. They’ve said it’s an error on their behalf but only willing to refund me 6 months which is a small amount of the money that was taken from me. 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Katek4t3123

Thanks for coming here. 

I have sent you a private message for more details and would love to see if we can get this looked into further. 

Speak soon, 

Katie

Hello, the same thing has happened to me. Are you able to assist?

Katie_B

Hi @Richhooley01

Welcome to the community. 

Are you aware of how long this has been going on?

Do you have two broadband accounts?

Katie

hi, yea it’s been going on since i renewed from EE to BT in november 2021   

Katie_B

Thanks for confirming @Richhooley01

Does it show one charge from BT and one from EE?

If yes, please give us a call on 0330 123 1105. 

Katie