cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband moving from BT to EE - still being charged by BT

TheHowittzer
Explorer

I moved from BT broadband to EE Fibre in approx August 2022 after finding a deal on the EE app. I called EE and arranged for the new broadband to be set up. At no point was I told to cancel the direct debit to BT and I was under the impression that the BT account would be cancelled in the migration process to EE.

I have found out today that I have still been charged almost £50 every month since then.

How do I go about getting this money refunded? I believe that EE have failed to migrate the accounts properly and I was not informed at any point to cancel the direct debit to BT (despite them being the same company). 

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@TheHowittzer  alas there is no account access on here, so you will need to give the broadband care team a call.

That said is your BT service still working? Was it also fibre, or via your phone line? 

It may have been that as there is no connection between the older service  via a phone line that EE did not know to cancel your BT service. Do you have any information to say they would cancel it?

It seems a long time to be paying for a service you don't use so do be prepared for such questions.

Thank you for your response. 

I don't know if the BT service is working as the router was changed when the EE service was installed. The BT account was fibre and when I changed to EE, an engineer came to my address to install a new box outside and provided us with a new router. 

I can't say that I have specific information to say they would cancel it however I believe I would have asked that question whilst on the phone when setting up the new contact with EE. I do not recall any mention of cancelling the BT account or I would have done it.

I'll give them a call today to explain. 

When you moved to EE did the eng. install a box on the inside wall as well (called the ONT)? If so, you moved from Fibre over a copper line at the phone socket to Full Fibre. In that case you needed to cancel the BT BB yourself but EE should've told you that.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)