Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband installation - Openreach Master socket 5c

Adri8
Investigator
Investigator

Hi everyone!

I hope it's an easy question and I am just really bad with technology, but o have just moved into a new (rented) flat where there is an Openreach Master socket 5c box already. 

The landlord already warned me I cannot drill any wall and then whichever broadband I choose will have to use the existing box.

After some research it seems to me this box is not the right one for the fibre (although my address is listed as fibre available in any website I check).

Can anyone help me to understand:

A) if I go for fibre is some drilling definitely going to happen?

B) what's the alternative? All the deals I find seem to be fibre

Thank you 

Adri

6 REPLIES 6
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Adri8 

That box is used for copper line connections/internet and is not used for fibre .  You'll need a fibre line installing with a ONT box installed on the internal wall. That will involve drilling. 

You'll need to look at non fibre alternatives unless you can convince your landlord to change their mind. You could also consider EE mobile broadband.

@XRaySpeX might have some other suggestions. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Thank you @Northerner - I have also called EE customer service and they advised that in my area new contracts will only be with fibre 😕

The mobile broadband apparently is much more expensive and I imagine not as fast so I will have to try and convince my landlord...

Thank you for quick reply, much appreciated 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

There's "Fibre" & there's "Full Fibre".

• Fibre (FTTC) comes over fibre most of the way to the nearest cabinet & then copper to the home ending up at that OR phone socket. That would be suitable for you.
  • Full Fibre (FTTP) comes over fibre all the way to the home ending up at an ONT box screwed to the interior of an outside wall. Your landlord wouldn't like that.

Both are being sold.

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@Adri8 wrote:

I have also called EE customer service and they advised that in my area new contracts will only be with fibre

But what words were used by both of you, "Fibre" or "Full Fibre"? You need to get it straight.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

the person from EE I spoke to confirmed that I have a FTTC and not FTTP.

He then explained that FTTC is currently available only for existing customers but for new deals, because Full Fibre has already been rolled out in my area, EE can only offer Full Fibre. 

I am having the same issue with other providers though, as soon as add my post code I can only see Full Fibre deals. 

Should I try calling again as speak to someone else?

thanks

Ah, that's much clearer. The upshot is that EE will no longer offer Fibre (FTTC) to new custs, only existing 1s who want to upgrade.

That makes sense as now EE is offering only EE New BB Full Fibre to new custs. So no point in calling EE again.