cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed

HT231
Investigator
Investigator

I have been with EE since the early days of the internet when the connection was by dial up!  Over the past few weeks I have noticed my connection really slowing down.  Have just called EE to be advised I’m still on a very old plan and my internet speed is 17.7MB per sec.  So I seem to have been paying for an inferior service for a long time but was not aware of this.

I have been told the only way to increase the speed is to change over to the new digital landline system which I do not want to do at the moment.  I realise this will be implemented in 2025 but would prefer not to change this until I have to as my Mum relies on her landline too.  I am in the midst of dealing with a whole host of other problems for her so would prefer to keep the potential for even more to a minimum.

Is there anything I can do to avoid too much disruption?  I work from home so this is also impacting my job.

19 REPLIES 19

BROADBAND SETTINGS

This page provides advanced settings to connect to your EE Broadband service.

Broadband Type: © ADSL • Fibre/Ethernet

Broadband Username

story-teller.fsnet.co.uk@fs

Broadband Password

Protocol

VPI/CI

[PPPOA V

Encapsulation

vC MUX v

Internet IP Address

DYNAMIC v

IP Address

Subnet Mask

DNS IP Address

OBTAIN FROM ISP

Primary DNS

Secondary DNS

[0.0.0.0

Connection Type

ALWAYS CONNECTED

Idle Time

(minutes)

Authentication Protocol

CHAP V

MTU (576-1500)

DSL MODE

DSL Mode

AUTOMATIC

v

Bit Swapping

• Enable O Disable

SRA

© Enable O Disable

INTERNET CONNECTION

Internet State

Connected

x Broadband S...

Logout: Home

DISCONNECT

Sorry, not those pages. Please navigate to Advanced Settings > Accept > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

STATUS

Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Fast Path
AutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+)

DATA RATE INFORMATION

UpstreamDownstream
1195 (Kbps)
17899 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION

Operation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
7.1 (dB)3.7 (dB)
15.6 (dB)31.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
12.1 (dBm)0.0 (dBm)
----
----
----

STATISTICS

Received DataTransmitted Data
350649 (Kbits)
95891 (Kbits)

18:13:45 is the System Uptime.

Those stats are fine & what you should expect. You are getting the correct speed, 17.9 Meg, for the ADSL product that you are on. It won't have changed other than marginally.

The only Q remains is whether you could be on a faster EE BB product.

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Exchange AYR is served by Cabinet 19
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean)
VDSL Range B (Impacted)
G.fast Range A (Clean)
G.fast Range B (Impacted)medium.gif

8071.4201965.5UnavailableAvailable--
8067.4201960UnavailableAvailable--
----------Unavailable----
----------Unavailable----
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Upto 1000Upto 220--Available1 Stage
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed Rate
Up to 7--4 to 9.5Available--
Up to 7Up to 14 to 9.5Available--
----------
2----Available--
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 7.0--4.0 to 9.5Available--
Up to 6.0--5.0 to 8.0Available--
Up to 2----Available--
Observed Speeds ADSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2023-10-15
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
26-10-2023
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
Y
N

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

Thank you for your interest

As you don't want to go to digital landline yet (which excludes 1000 Meg WBC FTTP {EE's Full Fibre}) but you already have an analogue landline I should ask EE whether you can upgrade to "Up to 80 Meg" FTTC/VDSL {EE's Fibre Plus} on your existing landline. They are not selling new analogue landlines, but you already have 1. So I would have thought it would be possible just to switch the ADSL BB on it to FTTC w/out affecting the landline. It would require no new wiring indoors, just a reconnection outside at the cabs, & just a new router.

@bobpullen : What do you think? Is this possible?

@XRaySpeX   that option has not been available since the 5th of September.

From the incomplete table above@

80 71.4 20 19 65.5 Unavailable Available --
80 67.4 20 19 60 Unavailable Available

--

The first row of Unavailable refers to FTTC, the second Available is for SOGEA - ie no analogue voice available. If the OP tried to upgrade they would lose their PSTN line. They would need to check if Digital Voice was available to them is they wanted to keep their phone number.

I know, @Mustrum , but that would be for new installations. I'm postulating for existing installations where there is already an existing landline there would be an easy path to upgrade the BB on it to another type running over the same landline. It must be a simple task to implement that. Anything else would be red tape.

The copper landline is already in place, running from the home to the phone cab. to the exchange to the POTS. All it needs is a loop from the phone cab to the fibre cab & loop back.

The OP doesn't want SoGEA!

@XRaySpeX   the computer will say no. The OP can maintain their existing product, but not change it with any of the BT Group. Like I said, FTTC is not available to them. That is what have suggested they might be able to do..

They could possibley do what you describe with an LLU operator that has yet to move to Digital Voice services, BUT I would suggest that may well be a risky option., if there are any still doing such a thing.