cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed

HT231
Investigator
Investigator

I have been with EE since the early days of the internet when the connection was by dial up!  Over the past few weeks I have noticed my connection really slowing down.  Have just called EE to be advised I’m still on a very old plan and my internet speed is 17.7MB per sec.  So I seem to have been paying for an inferior service for a long time but was not aware of this.

I have been told the only way to increase the speed is to change over to the new digital landline system which I do not want to do at the moment.  I realise this will be implemented in 2025 but would prefer not to change this until I have to as my Mum relies on her landline too.  I am in the midst of dealing with a whole host of other problems for her so would prefer to keep the potential for even more to a minimum.

Is there anything I can do to avoid too much disruption?  I work from home so this is also impacting my job.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mirrors90
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
19 REPLIES 19
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@HT231  So you was out of contract for a long time and did nothing about it that’s down to you.
  All new connection's now are digital because it’s all being switched over. 

mirrors90
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi ,

Do you use your landline much? The only people it's not suitable to switch over to digital for are those with alarms plugged into their landline. Otherwise you can still take a phone line and pay for calls. 

I'm a bit surprised they didn't call you to get you changed over to fibre before - they usually love an upsell! 

What are your concerns about moving over to a digital landline?

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Yes I still use my landline a lot and as I have an elderly parent I’m dealing with a lot of problems for, I don’t want to increase the potential for even more just now.

I’m a bit disappointed I haven’t had any calls from EE and after all they would have made more money out of an upgrade too.

mirrors90
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Totally understand, but I don't think there will be any more issues by upgrading - I'd say you're in the minority without it already - It's a tried and tested system which will deliver you a much faster speed. 

What sort of speed can they offer you with the upgrade? 

I think 100MB per sec was mentioned.  I will try to read up about the digital phones and perhaps that will reassure me a bit.

mirrors90
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@HT231 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-transition-from-analogue-to-digital-landlines#what-the-change-means-i...

Here you go, the official government website - hopefully puts your mind at ease 🙂

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Aside from the Q of digital landlines, if you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.
  • For other routers: login to it according to the label on it as the admin user & navigate looking for its router/connection statistics.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you very much for your help 😊.