cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new EE Hub SH31B down/up all the time immediately from installation

Tsangtse
Visitor

I’m a new EE broadband customer (Full Fibre 74 Essentials) and have a problem with my new SH31B hub going down/up all the time. The hub’s Technical Event Log is stating "DSL Connection Lost" and “Network interface eth1 down” (and eth0).

I don’t have a phone connected.

This issue started immediately from the brand-new installation on 26/01/2024, just 5 mins after the Openreach guy drove away (previously this was a copper line from BT using a BTHub6).

EE Customer Services I’ve found to be generally unhelpful, as their first response was for me to wait 48 hours for it to “settle down”. After running all their tests and their automated bots doing their thing and finding nothing wrong, their second response was wait another 48 hours. Since contacting them the third time, they tried to undertake a remote factory reset, but this failed. I also tried a factory reset via the Hub Manager, which failed.

So EE Customer Services have suggested a replacement hub, which is now on its way. Another 48 hour wait.

In the meantime, I managed a successful factory reset via a paperclip and pressing the physical reset button at the back. I don’t know why they did not know this. The reset made no difference to the problem.

I tried switching off 5GHz wireless (an idea from another community thread) and it made no difference to the frequency of the problem (as I write this, down/up 9 times in the last 1.5 hours).

I’ve also tried changing the Wireless mode to “Wifi 5” and various multiples of other settings but nothing resolves the problem.

I have 11 devices in total that connect via Wi-Fi and each device sees the signal go at the same time, whether connecting at 2.4GHz or 5.0 GHz. Some are less than 1m away from the router, so I know there is no fault with my devices “seeing” the hub.

Interestingly though I see a “Hidden Network” SSID broadcast when my hub is up and disappear when it is down. It makes me wonder if I’ve been supplied with some kind of reconditioned hub or there is something strange with the configuration that I cannot access.

Anybody had similar issues?

If the new hub does not fix this then I’m handing both hubs in at the EE shop and cancelling the whole contract to go elsewhere.

1 REPLY 1
Robbie-Mac
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Tsangtse

Thank you for your post and welcome back to the community!

I am sorry for the connection problems you're having since your recent install.  I see you've mentioned that you've experienced a drop 9 times within the space of 1.5 hours.  That's a lot and I can understand how frustrating this must be.  We'll be happy to pick up from here and stay with you until you're happy this is all sorted.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie