cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blink module saying wrong password smart hub plus

leearchertog
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, so I plugged the new router in today, connected phone, alexa and imac but for 2 hours I couldnt get the blink module to work, it kept saying wrong wifi password

Did some searching and saw they dont like wifi 6 so turned it to 5.

turned of 5ghz and only had 2.4. did power off etc

still wont work

so for now the BT router is back on.

annoying to say the least, any ideas how to get the blink to work cheers

10 REPLIES 10
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@leearchertog  it sounds like you have tried all the obvious steps. Not sure which router you have, but some - if not all - also have  WiFi mode option which could also be worth trying - on the 2.5Ghz band.

Another less than elegant option, but one that allows you to keep WiFi 6 for your newer devices - is to get a cheap 2.4 WiFi extender and connect your blink via that. It worked for my son's outdoor lighting. And you can always send it back if it does not work.

HTH

Thats a really good idea. Thankyou

Its the smart hub plus, the options were channel, 2.4ghz- 5ghz and wifi 6, 6 compatible and 5.

As soon as the bt hub went on it worked and that is switched to 2.4 and 5ghz. But obviously the blink like it.

If i could turn firewall off on the smart hub it might work but cant see how, it will port forward but Ive no idea how to do that.

I will look into the 2.4 extender though thankyou.

richarddoyle218
Explorer

Hi Learchertog, I am having the same problem. Did you manage to get this sorted out and if so, how?

Very Much Appreciated.

-SRB-
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The blink module only uses 2.4ghz, it won't work on the others. If you own the BT hub and can keep it, you could switch off DHCP, give it a new fixed address on your network and use it as a 2.4 access point for the blink module. Just plug the hubs up Lan to Lan.

richarddoyle218
Explorer

Many thanks SRB, unfortunately I have to send the BT hub back but I managed to get it working on EE by setting the sync module up at the furthest point from the router in the house. I'm not sure why that works and it took quite a few attempts....fingers crossed it stays online!

-SRB-
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Glad you got it sorted, 2.4 travels further, I wonder was the signal being "swamped" by being too close to the hub. One camera on my system kept showing occasional drops in wifi connection yet it's the one on the outside wall of the room with the hub inside. I put a 2.4 access point in the attic and although much further away it solved the issue. I always thought it was interference from other wifi users, but perhaps it was just too clise to the hub....

leearchertog
Investigator
Investigator

i sent back the EE router, its odd having to have more hardware for it to work so kept the BT router. Not the best solution at all.

i sent back the EE router and stuck with the BT, speeds are still same so didnt see the point installing new hardware for a router that should work

-SRB-
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I was happy enough to stay with my BT hub too, "it all just works". Though I don't have DV or the 1.6 connection, for those who do, it's a different story.