cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed - Portable Mobile Broadband Devices - options, connectivity

gabs111
Visitor

Hi, I need some advice on temporary/portable mobile broadband devices. 

Some background: I live in a shared accommodation, and due to the fact that there a lot of us, the Wifi installed in the accommodation is very slow, and I'm looking for an alternative so I could just chill and do my art stuff after long day at work, without stressing that a video tutorial doesn't load. I'm also interested in getting  Pay Monthly Mobile Broadband only, as I'm quite content with my current mobile phone (sim) provider. Also, I'd be using  Wifi primarily on my laptop and occasionally on a few other mobile devices.

To be fair, my main concern is not the mobile devices, but my 2015 Macbook Pro...  I just don't want to end up investing into something, and then ending up with my Mac acting funny and refusing to connect.... Please share your experiences if you've had similar concerns/issues!

Also, in this case, should I better look into 4GEE Home Router 3 or 4GEE Wifi Mini 2020? Do these devices come just as plug into the socket and voila I can connect type of thing, or there's some sort of further configuration or additional elements (sim card or what not) required?

Apologies for loads of questions, especially if some sound silly... Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you! 🙂

1 REPLY 1
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

My 1st concern is that you may be cluttering the WiFi space there & may have to take steps to avoid clashing WiFi channels. For that reason I would prefer the 4GEE Home Router which has Ethernet ports you can connect the Macbook to. The Home Router is mains powered,

The 4GEE WiFi Mini is battery powered & has no Ethernet ports.

All these mobile routers come with a SIM to connect to the EE mobile network. That's where they get their BB signal from. They should not need any extra setting up other than connecting them up.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)