Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 week review of EE 1.6gbs

Bluenose_Dave
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Having been on the new 1.6gb/s service now for 2 weeks, and here are my views,

i have the EE new smart router plus and 3 extenders, first off i know the EE smart hub plus only has 1gb LAN ports, speeds have been ok and stable WIFI rangers from about 650-820  what is not bad, i m running with them hardwired with a lan to them, i know WiFi 6 max speeds are 1200 but rarely get them in the real world 

this package feels like it been rushed out, my reason for saying this are,  openreach engineers laptops have 1gb Ethernet ports so they are unable to check speeds from ONT or any other Speedtest at your home if you are on the 1.6gbs package

the EE router having only 1gb LAN, also it comes with a cat 5e cable, this cat of cable does up to 1gb, so if you are on 1.6gb/s you will need to get a new Ethernet lead to connected the smart hub plus to the ONT

all the WiFi features like work and game mode and WiFi controls dont work, it say page not found, i have heard that the WiFi enhanced feature has been turn off so the team can look at it and fix it as it affecting a lot of users and should be back after a month, i am unable to check speed via the router page this time it asking for me to make an EE account

speeds and connection has been stable and good, but i did have a lot of issues getting the service

i know of people who have bought a 3rd party router so they can get full access to the raw 1.6gbs speeds, and they are having no issues on speeds as router has 2.5gb LAN on them unlike the EE smart hub plus

i have bought a usbc to 2.5gb Ethernet adapter so i can test the raw speeds at the ONT, plus if openreach do need to test speeds at my home they will be able too

so in short i hope you can see why i think this package has been rushed out from the fact openreach dont have the kit to test speeds at the customer home, to all the issues with the new smart hub plus

FFTP Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb
29 REPLIES 29

What model of TP LINK are you using buddy? 

timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@SWHITE65 

Expensive but handles the 1.6 package with ease.😎

No drop outs, no speed drops.👍

tp-link.jpg

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.

Awsome buddy

Bluenose_Dave
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Another update, well last Monday my speeds dropped to 300mbs, openreach came out Thursday but said speed issues are a providers issues not openreach,had to explain to them how to do a Speedtest from the ONT,that also showed slow speeds, done the usual reboots and no better ,so a call was made and same was told it is provider issues again. For some reason full speeds kicked in after they left. But come Monday this week the speed has dropped down to 300 again so a new hub being set out to see if it helps plus to rule out hardware issues. So slightly disappoint with it all again,we see what new hub does to the problem tomorrow 

Well the new hub came on the 17th and worked fine untill 29th April and back to 350 download speeds, so openreach been sent out tomorrow even if last time they came it was classed as a ee problem

but worse was I was told I will get 5 months free as compensation as I had no service for 7 weeks and there nothing on my notes and not had compo for last month where it did not meet mins speeds,I have put another complaint in for what good that does as past experience they close it and do nothing, I starting to feel ee just say what ever but don’t seem to honour what the say. I see what happens over the weekend but very close to contact ofcom as service has been the worse I ever know

for those who don’t know my 7 week loss of service over Xmas was only fixed after I contacted the CEO of openreach  this 1.6 connect has been nothing but a nightmare had about 6 weeks of it at correct speeds since 17th December. And the app on my just as bad

i will post an update once I know more and I would say get anything they say sent in an email so you have the proof of what was said as I now wishing I did that

OFCOM don't handle individual complaints. You can make a formal complaint to EE & if you don't get satisfaction after 8 weeks you can take it to EE's ADR provider. See Complaints code of practice and here is the Complaints Form .

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Bluenose_Dave
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Cheers bud, as you know for my other posts I get a pretty poor show from EE

Bluenose_Dave
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Openreach came out Friday by luck a supervisor also came with the  engineer( the supervisor was here before as Openreach exe complaints team sent to connected me after 7 weeks of loss of service what helped as he was the last person to have done any physical work on my connection) extremely helpful, and tested and changed every thing to using another ee smart hub plus to replacing the ONT and every Ethernet lead power lead and only have hub and ONT plugged into the plug sockets

they called Openreach Diagnostic Centre of Excellence (DCoE) and tier 1 support was not much help with the issues,by this time the had connect their laptop to the ONT, so they was transferred up to tier 2 support these was able to see into the Openreach system and test and there end they was getting 900 but on the laptop connected to the ONT here only around 300, but the tier 2 support person said the issues seems where it joined the EE part of the network from  openreach part

A calling to EE the engineer did while here was here, there was a flag on the system saying only next gen 1gb team can deal with my account, they spoke to a very helpful woman there who said she pass it to a very high up tech person to them, and called me within 10mins to tell me directly the person who she said bt engineer supervisor said I have him in my contacts and he part of openreach

about an hour later she called me back to say the service should be fully working do a pin reset of the hub, after waiting for the hub to boot up my speeds was back to the usual 1684down and still has been at them speed as of my writing this reply on Sunday

the openreach team who was here said they only seen 1 other 1.6 connection, and speaking to the EE person she said it was in trials or national trials and has yet to be approved by the powers that are in charge of them things,  it that was the first time someone at EE has said it even if I known this for a while as isp preview site has a tread and posts about it

the Openreach team said please keep us updated on how things are so that a plus having someone in Openreach I am able to text if any issues, as the Openreach teams are still learning on the new speeds and the issues encountered with this speed

timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Bluenose_Dave 

Sounds very positive Dave.👍

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.
Bluenose_Dave
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Well once again speeds have dropped below 300mb so I let the Openreach engineer who was out  12 days ago who said keep him updated, so I call EE as it was EE doing something what gave me full speeds, but ee woman was no we need to send Openreach out tried to explain the history and how ee fixed it last time, so got open reached due Friday afternoon, once I got the fault ref I sent to over to Openreach, and he will let his supervisor know about it who been out to me a couple of times,so we see what happens over the next few days. 3rd time in 2 months now my speeds have dropped below 300, really is the worse experience I have had with a provider and just issue after issue it seems for me