Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 week review of EE 1.6gbs

Bluenose_Dave
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Having been on the new 1.6gb/s service now for 2 weeks, and here are my views,

i have the EE new smart router plus and 3 extenders, first off i know the EE smart hub plus only has 1gb LAN ports, speeds have been ok and stable WIFI rangers from about 650-820  what is not bad, i m running with them hardwired with a lan to them, i know WiFi 6 max speeds are 1200 but rarely get them in the real world 

this package feels like it been rushed out, my reason for saying this are,  openreach engineers laptops have 1gb Ethernet ports so they are unable to check speeds from ONT or any other Speedtest at your home if you are on the 1.6gbs package

the EE router having only 1gb LAN, also it comes with a cat 5e cable, this cat of cable does up to 1gb, so if you are on 1.6gb/s you will need to get a new Ethernet lead to connected the smart hub plus to the ONT

all the WiFi features like work and game mode and WiFi controls dont work, it say page not found, i have heard that the WiFi enhanced feature has been turn off so the team can look at it and fix it as it affecting a lot of users and should be back after a month, i am unable to check speed via the router page this time it asking for me to make an EE account

speeds and connection has been stable and good, but i did have a lot of issues getting the service

i know of people who have bought a 3rd party router so they can get full access to the raw 1.6gbs speeds, and they are having no issues on speeds as router has 2.5gb LAN on them unlike the EE smart hub plus

i have bought a usbc to 2.5gb Ethernet adapter so i can test the raw speeds at the ONT, plus if openreach do need to test speeds at my home they will be able too

so in short i hope you can see why i think this package has been rushed out from the fact openreach dont have the kit to test speeds at the customer home, to all the issues with the new smart hub plus

FFTP Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb
13 REPLIES 13
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Bluenose_Dave wrote:

... the EE router having only 1gb LAN, also it comes with a cat 5e cable, this cat of cable does up to 1gb, so if you are on 1.6gb/s you will need to get a new Ethernet lead to connected the smart hub plus to the ONT

This is not true. A Cat-5e with all four pairs connected is perfectly fine for 2.5GbE (source).

I imagine Openreach have the ability to test speed from the network to the ONT. From there, if your hub's WAN port is negotiated with the ONT at 2.5GbE (fairly easy to check) then I'd say you're golden. Doubt an Openreach engineer cares too much what happens from there as it's all your home environment.

garetc
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

I had numerous OR engineers over when they were trying to find a fault with my service and they all expressed that they couldn't test the service correctly as their test equipment wasn't ready for the 1.6Gbps service.

Bluenose_Dave
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The latest update on the EE app today seems to have enabled WiFi controls and WiFi enhancer too, a few Gemlins with smart WiFi set up and speed test but finally I am able to see what theses features do

timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi Dave.

My 1.6Gb package has never missed a beat since I connected the tp-link router I bought for this package running at max speed every time I check it.

As we spoke previously it's not ideal having to purchase your own router but as we are paying a premium for the service why not get it's full capacity.

Glad you finally got it sorted mate.👍

Taken just now for this post.

fast.com.jpg

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.

The last update on the Google Playstore of the EE app is dated 15/03/24.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Bluenose_Dave
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Sorry I should have said it the IOS version of the app I am using

Bluenose_Dave
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I posted the hub speed on our old usual thread, get 1680 to the Ont 

AHarMan2
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I get the same from a fold 4 to wifi 6 to the EE router, then via EE router to the ONT.

vancouverbrit
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Awful awful experience.  The service was not provisioned properly from the start, speeds to the router are often only 300 mb, there is no way for me to test it since the web page speed test does not work.  Six missed OpenReach appointments because EE is not booking them properly with OpenReach, and zero functionality because the EE app does not work.

EE are also totally incapable of addressing the issue.  No-one takes responsibility, they don't call back when they promise and I have now spent 35 hours on the phone to them since December 1st. 

They won't even close my multiple complaints so I can go to the ombudsman.

*** DO NOT BUY THIS SERVICE ***