cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

ee sim in an unlocked i phone 12 max which is american

abbeyboy
Investigator
Investigator

can you use a uk ee sim in an ulocked i phone 12 max which is american and unlocked

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@abbeyboy  Yes it’ll work as it supports the bandwidths that EE use. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@abbeyboy  Yes it’ll work as it supports the bandwidths that EE use. 

wardi
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi @abbeyboy .. a couple of years ago I bought a refurbished Galaxy S7 'Active' off an ebay trader which was unlocked.  It was an American sourced model as it had lot of ADT stuff built in which I removed/shut down as best as I could.  My existing sim worked fine, the only thing didn't function was WiFi calling but I never needed that anyway.  Hope that helps

@wardi  @abbeyboy  Will have no issue as there is no network branding on iPhones.   Everything will work as it should the only problem might be is when the device later sold on being a US device. 

the phone itself is going to remain in the us but will it be able to call the uk using an ee sim

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Yes, you should be able to call back to the UK with it, @abbeyboy.

Is it a pay monthly or pay as you go SIM card?

Chris

it will be a pay monthly sim

Christopher_G

OK, thanks @abbeyboy

The SIM will need to be activated for roaming abroad, you can request this when taking out a contract.

You can choose a smart benefit that allows you to use your call allowances for calling back to the UK.

However, there is a 'stable links' policy for our mobile contracts. Here's what it says in our terms and conditions for pay monthly contracts (there's more information on there about this too):

Stable links

"You must comply with the EE fair use policy which includes you being a permanent resident in, or having a stable
link to, the UK. We will consider you to have a stable link to the UK if, during any four-month period, you:

• spend a total of two months or more within the UK; or
• mainly use your inclusive voice, text or data usage allowances in the UK, rather than while you are roaming."

Hope this helps.

Chris

so in a nutshell to recap,if i send a ee sim to my girlfriend in the usa for her to use in her i phone 12 max, as long as i have roaming adde to the sim it should be able to call me in the uk. in that event the 4 weeks compulsary use in the uk wont happen, so then they will no doubt block it 

Christopher_G

The service is intended for UK customers who travel abroad, @abbeyboy.

If we believe or know that you have breached the terms I mentioned above, there could be surcharges for future usage or the SIM could be blocked completely or just for roaming abroad.

Chris