cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Unlimited Data Pass, £5 per mth N4G7F348

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I've received a text message from 1215, as below, offering an Unlimited Data Pass for £5 extra per month. It's an offer I've been waiting for and an improvement on the £10/mth I've seen for a little time.

Can anyone who has activated the Unlimited Data Pass for £5/mth confirm that it functions as one would expect based on the below wording, and whether there are any corner issues or gotchas to be aware of?

Does anyone know how many days the offer is likely to be open for as my 200 GB allowance refreshes tomorrow so I don't feel it makes any sense to attempt to activate today as it risks falling into the previous period so I might have it for three hours and it could refresh at midnight (I would be interested to hear if this is not the case). Do I have to reply YES today or can I do that tomorrow, or some days or months from now?

An aside that it's a bit weird that it says I've run out of data as managed to consume 93.1 GB of Reserve Data and will be posting this using Reserve Data.

Hi <name>. You're out of data. Get our full speed Unlimited Data Pass for only £5 extra a month.

Reply YES today to get back online (and it lasts for the duration of your contract). Cancel anytime.

Terms http://discover.ee.co.uk/N4G7F348 Annual price changes and fair use policy apply. Text STOP to 2040 to opt out of all text message marketing.

The link takes me to https://ee.imicampaign.com/imicampaignlinktracker/landingpages?pageid=15850751449906&ref_trans_id=$(...) and I currently see there:

Recurring data add-ons available with selected pay monthly plans. Allowances last until end of current billing cycle or until used up , whichever comes first. They automatically restart on your next bill date unless you cancel. Cost of the add-on is added to your next bill then each monthly bill until you cancel. If you have used up all your data you can buy more by visiting add-on.ee.co.uk Data allowance for use in the UK & EU when roaming. Unused data does not rollover. Any data boost allowance will be added to the giftable allowance.

Unlimited data add-on: 50GB fair use policy applies outside UK. Personal, non-commercial use only. If you regularly tether 12 or more devices, we will consider this non-personal use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan. We will consider usage above 600GB/month to be commercial use and have the right to move you to a business plan. 5G Handset customers can gift up to 120GB and all other unlimited customers can gift up to 100GB. Data usage on an unlimited plan will decrement from giftable allowance.

See our Price Guide for full details of costs and allowances available. To cancel anytime, text 150 with: STOP (x) as below. All cancellations will be effective from your next bill date.

• For 1GB : STOP 1GB
  • For 2GB : STOP 2GB
  • For 5GB : STOP 5GB
  • For 10GB : STOP 10GB
  • For 20GB : STOP 20GB
  • For Unlimited : STOP Unlimited

A little explanation of why £5/mth is worth doing and £10/mth is not is because I currently use the Amazon Smart Benefit valued at £5.99/mth and I could simply swap this out for the EE Video Pass at £8.99/mth which would cover the bulk of my data usage.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
10 REPLIES 10
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@mikeliuk  It says it last the duration of your contract in that text. 

The one you see for £10 when you go to purchase add ons doesn’t say anything of the sort.  So you could argue when you upgrade if it was to get removed as it’s not in the T&Cs that it will be removed if/when you upgrade or the duration of the contract ends.   To be honest though do you really need unlimited data ?  (600Gb) 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@mikeliuk wrote:

Reply YES today to get back online (and it lasts for the duration of your contract).

NOT YES tomorrow or days later!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Other thing to consider is how long is this £5 per month gonna stay on offer for you.

There's been a few people on here that have posted that the £5 office has been removed after a few months and has now reverted back fto the £25 monthly UL data add-on.

Shortly going to make an attempt due to the below. Hopefully the offer is good for at least 24 hours from the time of the text (a little before noon). And it's not that the service provider wanted the first billing to last for 12 hours instead of 30 days. Don't think I can use 600 GB in 12 hours so that was never going to come first. 😁

Turns out it showed as unlimited on http://add-on.ee.co.uk/status almost immediately and the new "unlimited" allowance shows in the app as an applied add-on with the £10/mth price in the description. Fingers crossed all will be well. 🤓

Allowances last until end of current billing cycle or until used up , whichever comes first.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM

How much are you paying for your 200gb per month

£20/mth for 200 GB after a 20% Perkbox discount through work.

Nighttime speedtest is a little off even after resetting radio. First test was around 27 Mbps. Hope it's just that the cell tower's asleep/resting. 😴

DOWNLOAD Mbps
 Ping 23 ms

Eating my own dog food and trying fast.com which has a more appropriate headline number. Upload is off even considering on a mobile.

Mbps

Latency

Unloaded
29 ms

Loaded
404 ms

Upload
Speed
11 Mbps

Seems my SINR's terrible going between 0 and 6 dBm. Sounds like a tomorrow/later today problem.
-- 

So do the maths your currently paying 20 quid a month for 200gb with the option of £10 extra for UL Data Add On, so £30 total, if you take up the £5 offer of UL (prob only 4G) that's a a total of £25pm in total.

So, assuming all this is SIM Only, if you did the 5 quid add on untill your 6 months into your Contract then  Upgrade, you could do a Sim Only UpGrade to 5G UL Data for £25 on a Existing User Offer on a 24 Month Contract, or a 5G UL Data with 1 Smart Benifit for around £28, or a 5G UL Data with 3 Smart Benifits for around £33, bearing in mind each Smart Benifits is worth between 5 and 8 quid a month, then on top of that you should be able to retain your existing Discount or get it reapplied.

If you already into your 6 Months then have a look now re your Upgrade option for 5G UL Data SIM Only deals.

Sadly the GBP 5/mth offer for the length of the contract could either have been too good to be true or there were some crossed wires somewhere. I've indeed been thinking of upgrading when allowed but the biggest blocker is really that I probably lose access to Amazon Prime Video to be offered Netflix, which I get elsewhere at no cost.

The wording of the paperwork suggests to me that it's likely I would lose my current 20% discount on upgrading but I would be interested to know if I could certainly keep it when upgrading as it would change my expectations/calculations.

The Unlimited Data Pass showed as GBP 10/mth in "My EE" online and app so I opened an online chat. Perhaps the offer might have taken effect if I'd accepted about three hours earlier (I'd be interested to hear if other customers are able to get this on pay monthly as the chat adviser didn't have visibility of SMS offers when I asked if the offer exists for others).

Another possibility is that the GBP 5/mth was always going to bill correctly at GBP 5/mth but would show incorrectly on the account at GBP 10/mth so EE has spent 45 minutes unselling me on a 25% up-lift in services. The current situation is that I'll have the Unlimited Data Pass for one month at GBP 5 implemented by a credit to the account and it will be taken off so that nothing further is billed.

I currently see unlimited 5G at GBP 29/mth and agree that if I keep the discount, the running price looks better. https://shop.ee.co.uk/upgrade/sim-only/upg-pay-monthly-phones but unfortunately Netflix is no good for me and I really like Amazon Prime Video (it was one of my main reasons for going with EE).

GBP 29/mth * .8 = GBP 23.20

-- 

Just thought I'd make an update for the benefit of the community after getting off a chat with an adviser.

Somehow the Unlimited Data Pass didn't get expired off as it showed in the account and online that it would, but instead caused an incorrect billing of GBP 20/mth.

Apparently the service provider will make a second attempt to remove this from my account and will refund the incorrect billing in the next cycle. 🤞

Making a note for the purposes of debugging that it currently shows in my online account as "Ends on 16 Oct. 2021" so potentially it has renewed before it was due to expire? Presumably some thought needs to be put into the correctness of how things are implemented and there might be an off-by-one error somewhere in terms of days and events.

--