cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Slow 4g/wifi

Tomlittle17
Explorer

Bit of a long explanation but I would appreciate it if someone could help!

i live in rural Kent, and we get terrible WIFI reception (1mbps maximum), so currently I am tethering my laptop/Xbox to my phone (unlimited 4g) to get by.

I am really struggling with this, and have been looking into getting a 4g router with unlimited data to use as my WiFi hub in the house. 

unfortunately, even though apparently my house gets ‘excellent coverage’ on the coverage checker, I still do not get more than 10mbps download speed when on 4g. Does anyone know if #1, this is an acceptable speed for ‘excellent’ coverage, and #2 if the 4g routers boost your internet speed, or it would just stay at the slow speeds?

Im really at my wits end here, trying to talk to multiple people @ee hasn’t got me anywhere yet, and I just want to be able to use the internet at my house!

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Routers will give much the same speeds as mobiles on the same 'G' band.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

What about the current speed I am receiving on the 4g do you know? If I am excellent of the coverage checker, should my speed not be more that 10mbps max? I know people in lower coverage rated areas that get higher speeds

It depends on where you are. I am in a mountain in Wales and get between 10-12mbps on a good day through my 4gee WiFi with an external aerial.

my phone however can get upto 24mbps with less jitter....at the exact same time, so not sure what’s going on but 18mbps is highest you will get rurally and that’s very unlikely